Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Slugger, reporter in same battle

Baseball pioneer's black chronicler became mentor

  • Print

LOS ANGELES--Baseball's greatest story will be rewritten again today as the sport celebrates the 66th anniversary of Jackie Robinson's breaking the major leagues' colour barrier.

Yet the man who wrote the story will be forgotten.

In every game, players from every team will wear 42, the number on the back of Robinson's jersey when he debuted for the Brooklyn Dodgers on April 15, 1947.

Yet nobody will sit in the stands with a manual typewriter atop their knees in memory of the man who, even as he wrote about integration on the field, was barred from the press box because he was black.

Nobody will honour the man who endured the same prejudice as Robinson as he fought that prejudice with his words. Nobody will remember the man whose hidden fight became an inspiration for Robinson's public battle.

Everyone will remember the headline, but few will remember the byline: Wendell Smith.

The humble, bespectacled journalist was Robinson's chronicler, his confidant and sometimes even his conscience. As sports editor and columnist for the black-owned Pittsburgh Courier, Smith accompanied Robinson throughout his first major-league season, creating his image, reporting his words and crusading for his rights.

As Robinson grew more popular, Smith became more invisible, until he eventually became Robinson's ghostwriter in the literal sense, the memory of him turning ethereal and nearly vanishing altogether.

"Everywhere we went, Wendell Smith was there," said Don Newcombe, former Dodgers pitcher and Robinson's longtime teammate, friend and fellow pioneer. "He was instrumental in so many things that happened. He should not be forgotten."

The movie 42, which opened Friday and chronicles Robinson's entry into the major leagues, is the rare piece of work that illuminates Smith's role in Robinson's life. Smith is the first voice heard in the movie, and his presence as Robinson's guide and companion is visible throughout. It was so startling to see Smith's image resurrected that when the character first appeared on the screen, Newcombe nudged his wife Karen and said his name out loud.

"I was so happy and surprised to see him up there," Newcombe said.

That it took 66 years for Smith to be appropriately recognized is, sadly, not surprising.

Although he was the only baseball writer assigned strictly to follow Robinson, he wasn't even allowed into the Baseball Writers Association of America until Robinson's second season. Although Robinson often cited Smith for his contributions to baseball's desegregation, he wasn't inducted into the writers' wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame until 1994, 22 years after his death.

Yet even today, Smith's 91-year-old widow, Wyonella, follows the advice her husband often gave Robinson as the two men travelled through the baseball world battling ignorance.

"If I complained about anything, Wendell would be turning over in his grave," she said from a Chicago retirement home.

"Like he would tell Jackie, you can get angry as heck, but you don't take anything as an insult, because you know who you are."

In the best tradition of old-school journalists, Smith was not only a writer, but a fighter. He found his cause in 1931 at age 17 when he was a pitcher for a Detroit American Legion team and his catcher was close friend Mike Tresh.

One day, with major-league scouts watching, they combined on a 1-0 victory. Afterward, a scout signed Tresh, not Smith. His explanation? Tresh was white and Smith was not.

Tresh enjoyed a 12-year career with the Chicago White Sox and Cleveland Indians. Smith headed to West Virginia State College to become a sportswriter whose career was based on righting that injustice.

"Wendell decided that day that if he was going to do anything in his life, he was going to make sure blacks played in the major leagues," Wyonella said.

Once Smith began covering the Negro Leagues for the nationally circulated Courier in 1937, he had his platform to make a difference. About that time, Robinson was at UCLA and became the first athlete to letter in four sports at the school.

In 1945, it was Smith who accompanied Robinson, then a shortstop with the Kansas City Monarchs, to a group tryout with the Boston Red Sox. When that proved to be a publicity stunt, Smith travelled to Brooklyn to personally alert Dodgers general manager Branch Rickey about Robinson's potential as a groundbreaker.

"Wendell is the one who got the ball rolling on the whole thing," Newcombe said. "He's the one who recommended Jackie to Mr. Rickey."

This recommendation, followed by positive scouting reports, led to Robinson's being summoned to Brooklyn for a meeting with Rickey. Responding to Rickey's questions about whether he could stay calm in the face of harassment, Robinson asked, "Are you looking for a Negro who is afraid to fight back?" Rickey replied that he needed a player "with guts enough not to fight back."

Once Rickey signed Robinson, he also signed Smith at $50 a week, to accompany him for a year with the Dodgers' triple-A team in Montreal, then for Robinson's 1947 debut season with the Dodgers.

That promise Robinson made to Rickey was enforced by Smith, who constantly reminded Robinson of his importance to the community and the cause.

On Oct. 24, 1972, Robinson died of a heart attack at 53. Almost exactly one month later, on Nov. 26, 1972, Smith died of pancreatic cancer at 58.

"Even in the end, they were together," Wyonella said.


-- Los Angeles Times

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition April 15, 2013 C4

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes


  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.


Make text: Larger | Smaller


MTS Centre a Winnipeg whiteout as NHL playoffs return after 19 years

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • A pelican comes in for a landing Wednesday afternoon on the Red River at Lockport, Manitoba - Standup photo- June 27, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • A Canada Goose cools off in a water pond Monday afternoon at Brookside Cemetary- See Bryksa’s Goose a day Challenge– Day 27-June 25, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos


Will Connor McDavid make the Edmonton Oilers a playoff team?

View Results

Ads by Google