The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Stults allows Rizzo's 2-run homer as Padres lose 5-1 to Cubs

  • Print

SAN DIEGO - Eric Stults had a promising first three innings for the San Diego Padres on Thursday night, allowing only one baserunner.

Then he allowed his first hit, a bunt single by Junior Lake, followed by Anthony Rizzo's go-ahead, two-run home run on a 3-1 fastball that helped power the Chicago Cubs to a 5-1 victory.

"Obviously a good start, a poor finish," Stults said. "I felt like early in the game, everything was working.

"Even the fourth inning, I'm fine with giving up that home run. I don't want to give it up, but I felt like 3-1 I challenged him and he put a good swing on it."

Jake Arrieta pitched six strong innings for the Cubs.

Arrieta (1-0) held San Diego to one run and four hits, struck out seven and walked one. He was activated May 3 after beginning the season on the disabled list with tightness in his right shoulder and came in with a 2.70 ERA in three starts.

San Diego lost its fourth straight game. It was the 15th time in 48 games the Padres scored one or no runs.

The Padres were shut out for the eighth time — most in the majors — on Wednesday night, losing 2-0 to Minnesota.

Rizzo put the Cubs ahead 2-1 in the fourth with a 417-foot homer into the sandy play area beyond the fence in right-centre, his eighth.

Rizzo was with the Padres part of the 2011 season before being traded to the Cubs in the deal that sent right-hander Andrew Cashner to San Diego.

The Cubs chased Stults in the fifth with three runs and four hits. Nate Schierholtz hit a leadoff double and scored on Darwin Barney's single to centre. Arrieta sacrificed Barney, who scored on Emilio Bonifacio's single to right. Lake doubled over centre fielder Cameron Maybin's head to bring in Bonifacio.

"I was probably too much on the plate," Stults said. "They started to get too aggressive and I probably threw too good of pitches early in the count. I made a good pitch to Barney but other than that, the balls were up in the zone."

Carlos Villanueva pitched the final three innings for his first save this season.

San Diego's only run came on Seth Smith's two-out homer to right in the first, his team-leading sixth.

Smith is batting .457 (26 for 60) in May, with eight doubles, three triples, four homers and 11 RBIs.

Stults (2-5) gave up five runs and six hits in 4 2-3 innings, struck out four and walked none.

The Padres wore replica uniforms from 1984, when they beat the Cubs in the NL championship series to reach the World Series for the first time.

Cubs manager Rick Renteria spent the previous six seasons on San Diego's coaching staff.

NOTES: The four-game series continues Friday night when Cubs RHP Edwin Jackson (3-3, 3.98) faces Padres RHP Tim Stauffer (1-0, 2.41), who will be making his first start of the season. ... Padres LHP Robbie Erlin, who had been scheduled to start Friday night, went on the 15-day disabled list with a sore left elbow, retroactive to Sunday. He is 3-4 with a 4.53 ERA in nine appearances, including eight starts. To take his spot on the roster, the Padres selected RHP Blaine Boyer from Triple-A El Paso.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Peguis Chief Hudson comments on toddler's death upgrade to homicide investigation

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Carolyn Kavanagh(10) had this large dragonfly land on her while spending time at Winnetka Lake, Ontario. photo by Andrea Kavanagh (mom0 show us your summer winnipeg free press
  • MIKE.DEAL@FREEPRESS.MB.CA 110621 - Tuesday, June 21, 2011 -  Doug Chorney, president Keystone Agricultural Producers flight over South Western Manitoba to check on the condition of farming fields. MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
my2011poy

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

How surpised are you by the Bombers’ 4-1 start to the season?

View Results

Ads by Google