The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
Twins put Danny Santana on DL, bring back Yohan Pino to start Monday
ARLINGTON, Texas - Right-hander Yohan Pino was recalled Friday by the Minnesota Twins, only a day after getting sent down to Triple-A Rochester.
Pino was back after the Twins placed shortstop/centre fielder Danny Santana on the 15-day disabled list before the series opener at Texas. An MRI showed a deep bone bruise in Santana's left knee.
"Speed and his legs, that's a big part of his makeup, and you can't take a chance with something like that," manager Ron Gardenhire said. "We're not going to mess with his legs, so we'll just give him time to heal here."
Minnesota announced Pino as its starter for Monday's game against Kansas City. Pino was sent down Thursday so the Twins could call up shortstop Jorge Polanco from Class A Fort Myers for depth after Santana got hurt running the bases Wednesday.
Pino made his major league debut last week. In two starts, he has a 6.30 ERA over 10 innings.
Infielders Trevor Plouffe (rib injury) and Eduardo Nunez (right hamstring strain) could both be back on the active roster next week. Both are on the disabled list, and each missed his 12th game Friday night.
Plouffe is in Texas working out with the Twins, and Nunez is on a rehabilitation assignment with Double-A New Britain.
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 36 articles for today)7:15 PM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Cardinals hit 3 home runs, beat Reds 8-4 and move closer to playoff spot
- Marlins eliminated from wild-card contention with 3-2 loss to Nationals
- Chicago White Sox manage just 3 hits in 3-1 loss to Archer, Tampa Bay Rays
- Tanaka, returning from elbow injury, and rejuvenated Jeter lead Yankees over Blue Jays 5-2
- MLB cracks down on 'speed'
- Cashner brilliant again in Padres' 3-2 win against Giants
- DeGrom fans 10 in 6 innings as Mets eliminate Braves from playoff contention with 3-game sweep
- Kinsler homers, Verlander sharp as AL Central-leading Tigers beat up second-place Royals 10-1
- Andrew Cashner has another strong effort as San Diego Padres beat San Francisco Giants 3-2
- Pirates ride Worley, late single by Martin and smart fielding to beat Brewers 1-0, extend lead
- Saying goodbye difficult task for Fish
- Goldeyes now out of season
- Umpire Joe West suspended for 1 game without pay for grabbing jersey of Phillies' Papelbon
- Kent Tekulve, former reliever and Pirates studio commentator, recovering from heart transplant
- Former Texas Rangers manager Ron Washington apologizes to breaking wife's trust
- Fan heckling Nationals star Bryce Harper in Atlanta ejected by veteran umpire Tim Welke
- Slumping Derek Jeter gets night off from Yankees' starting lineup
- Orioles' celebration of AL East title was 17 years in the making
- Phillies' Burnett beaten by Padres, absorbs majors-worst 17th loss
- Tough questions for both sides as appeals court reconsiders Barry Bonds obstruction conviction
- Trophy Fish clinch North Division
- Goldeyes lick Saltdogs 7-6
- Goldeyes now out of season
- Goldeyes' game against Railcats pushed back
- Fish feast on 'Cats
- Fish fail to close the deal
- Fish dump Saltdogs in first playoff game
- Goldeyes playoff run over with 2-0 loss to Saltdogs
- Fish bats fall silent as Lincoln evens series
- Hernandez is first Fish hurler to win AA pitcher of the year
Ads by Google