The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
Yankees add INF-OF Zelous Wheeler, option RHP Chase Whitley to Triple-A
NEW YORK, N.Y. - The New York Yankees have called up infielder-outfielder Zelous Wheeler from the minors and sent right-hander Chase Whitely to Triple-A.
The Yankees made the moves before Thursday's game against Houston.
Wheeler homered in his major league debut on July 3. He hit .267 with two homers in 16 games for the Yankees.
Yankees manager Joe Girardi said he wanted an extra right-handed bat with New York set to face three lefty starters in four days.
Whitley was 4-3 with a 5.43 ERA in 19 games, including 12 starts. He had been almost exclusively a reliever in his pro career until this season, when he reached the majors for the first time.
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 50 articles for this week)09/21/2014 11:18 PM 0
ANAHEIM, Calif. - The Texas Rangers are determined to put a strong finish on a mostly miserable season.
Ryan Rua hit ...
Photo Store Gallery
- Detroit Tigers miss chance for sweep, lose 5-2 to Guthrie, Kansas City Royals
- Giants lose third straight to Padres, 8-2, to fall 4 1/2 games behind Dodgers
- Tanaka, returning from elbow injury, and rejuvenated Jeter lead Yankees over Blue Jays 5-2
- DeGrom fans 10 in 6 innings as Mets eliminate Braves from playoff contention with 3-game sweep
- Pirates ride Worley, late single by Martin and smart fielding to beat Brewers 1-0, extend lead
- Corey Kluber strikes out 14. Indians stay close in Wild Card race with 7-2 win over Minnesota
- Strasburg leads Nationals to 2-1 win over Marlins, completes 4-game sweep
- Tripped up: Blue Jays lose to Yanks 5-2 for 1-6 trip and head home virtually out of contention
- Cashner brilliant again in Padres' 3-2 win against Giants
- Chicago White Sox manage just 3 hits in 3-1 loss to Archer, Tampa Bay Rays
- Saying goodbye difficult task for Fish
- Goldeyes now out of season
- Umpire Joe West suspended for 1 game without pay for grabbing jersey of Phillies' Papelbon
- Former Texas Rangers manager Ron Washington apologizes to breaking wife's trust
- Kent Tekulve, former reliever and Pirates studio commentator, recovering from heart transplant
- Fan heckling Nationals star Bryce Harper in Atlanta ejected by veteran umpire Tim Welke
- Slumping Derek Jeter gets night off from Yankees' starting lineup
- Phillies' Burnett beaten by Padres, absorbs majors-worst 17th loss
- Orioles' celebration of AL East title was 17 years in the making
- Cardinals hit 3 home runs, beat Reds 8-4 and move closer to playoff spot
- Trophy Fish clinch North Division
- Goldeyes lick Saltdogs 7-6
- Goldeyes now out of season
- Goldeyes' game against Railcats pushed back
- Fish feast on 'Cats
- Fish fail to close the deal
- Fish dump Saltdogs in first playoff game
- Goldeyes playoff run over with 2-0 loss to Saltdogs
- Fish bats fall silent as Lincoln evens series
- Hernandez is first Fish hurler to win AA pitcher of the year
Ads by Google