Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Atom's natural hat trick almost matches Mosienko
Last Saturday, the 10-year-old St. Adolphe Hawks atom A1 centre scored a natural hat trick in only 38 seconds. It happened during the final minute of the second period in his team's 7-2 win over Rat River in front of a crowd that included his dad, Doug, and mom, Melva Nordquist.
"I just thought it was normal time (between goals) but when I found out the next day it was 38 seconds, I was pretty excited," Adam said in an interview. "When I got the second goal, I thought maybe I would try to get another one to see what happens. I have never done that in my whole life and I know it might not happen again. I'm pretty excited about it."
Goals that fast don't come along often at any level, but hockey fans will remember another Manitoban who scored three goals in record time. Bill Mosienko of Winnipeg scored three goals in 21 seconds as a member of the Chicago Blackhawks on March 23, 1952 against the New York Rangers. That still stands in the record book as the fastest hat trick in NHL history.
For the other Hawks, Adam's dad Doug said they had a 2-1 lead late in the second period when Bauer Milette scored with 2:24 remaining.
With 56 seconds left, Ashton Meilleur threaded a pass to Adam in front of the net and he "put it upstairs." After the ensuing faceoff, Adam checked an opponent on the offensive zone and scored again. Adam scored the third goal in that span when he deked the goalie after taking a pass from Emma Parker. Doug said he thought the goals came in about a minute-and-a-half until he saw the game sheet.
"It was 38 seconds and they were good goals. It was some goofy long shot that went in when the goalie wasn't looking," Doug said. "We were all pretty excited for him, it was something special." Adam said his team has a 6-2 record and is a fun team to play with.
"It's was pretty exciting but I'll just remember how good our team did and how fun it was," said Adam, who scored five goals in the game.
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition December 12, 2008 C4
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 50 articles for this week)11:28 AM 0
CARACAS, Venezuela - Former NBA player Carl Herrera is out of intensive care and improving following a weekend shooting, the ...
Photo Store Gallery
- LeBron James scores 25 points, Dion Waiters adds 21 off bench as Cavs handle Grizzlies 105-91
- NBA stars set for Christmas TV smorgasbord, league preparing for annual coming-out party
- 76ers rally in 2nd half to claim 3rd win of the season, 96-88 over Magic
- NBA Capsules
- Cavaliers guard Irving chosen USA Basketball Male Athlete of the Year
- Former NBA player Carl Herrera shot, wounded during apparent robbery attempt in Venezuela
- Anthony Davis scores 38, leads Pelicans past short-handed Thunder 101-99
- Danilo Gallinari scores 19 points to lead Nuggets past Pacers, 76-73
- Korver's 22 points lead Atlanta Hawks to 104-97 win over Houston Rockets
- Paul scores 27, Griffin adds 24 as Clippers hold off Bucks for 106-102 win
- Kobe's competitiveness: 'It scares a lot of people that are just comfortable being average'
- Westbrook scores 31 without Durant, OKC Thunder hold off Lakers 104-103 on Kobe's late miss
- NBA's longest winning streak this season ends as Memphis beats Golden State Warriors 105-98
- Raptors dunk Pistons
- Timberwolves backup centre Ronny Turiaf done for season after arthroscopic hip surgery
- Lowry has 20 points, 12 assists as Toronto Raptors beat Nets 105-89
- Suns guard Goran Dragic misses his 2nd straight game with strained lower back
- Warriors beat Thunder 114-109 after Kevin Durant sprains right ankle
- New-Look NBA: For Snyder and other rookie head coaches, time demands are a daily challenge
- No dinosaur: Toronto Raptors unveil sleek new logo in short video
- James, Irving and multiple Nets players warm up in 'I Can't Breathe' shirts
- Healthy again, Warriors centre Andrew Bogut says he's 'not going to change the way I play'
- 'Heat Nation ain't going anywhere': Spoelstra addresses crowd as Miami holds open scrimmage
- Rare air: Kobe Bryant passes Michael Jordan for 3rd on NBA's career scoring list
- Asian Olympic body seeks common policy on head coverings to avoid more protests
- Wilt the Stamp: Push to put Wilt Chamberlain on postage stamp successful
- Police sent to ex-Clippers owner Sterling's home by wife, find him with woman from recordings
- Clippers coach Doc Rivers not worried about Las Vegas distractions during training camp
- Timberwolves give Pekovic day off at camp, aim to keep oft-injured big man healthy this year
- Cavaliers fans welcome back LeBron James as team holds scrimmage before nearly 17,000
Ads by Google