Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Clippers owner Sterling to go quietly, source says
LOS ANGELES -- Donald Sterling is turning his ownership stake in the Los Angeles Clippers over to his estranged wife, and she is in talks with the NBA to sell the team, a person with knowledge of the negotiations told The Associated Press on Friday.
The individual, who wasn't authorized to speak about the deal, said the couple reached the agreement after weeks of discussion.
"Donald Sterling is out, and there will be new owners," the individual told the AP.
Neither Shelly Sterling nor her attorney had any comment Friday. They have been in talks with NBA lawyers for the last couple weeks.
"She wants to be able to say, 'I'm selling the team, not the NBA is selling the team,' and have meaningful control over that transaction," the individual told the AP.
Donald Sterling was banned for life and fined $2.5 million by NBA Commissioner Adam Silver after the release of a recording last month in which Sterling made racist remarks involving blacks, which comprise the majority of players in the league.
Earlier this week, the NBA charged Sterling with damaging the league and its teams with his comments, and said he has impaired its relationship with fans and merchandising partners.
Sterling has until next Tuesday to respond to the charge. He has the right to appear at a New York hearing on June 3 in front of the other owners and make a presentation before the league's board of governors votes on terminating his ownership. He is entitled to a lawyer at the hearing, but strict courtroom rules of evidence would not apply.
Minnesota Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor, the board chairman, will preside over the June 3 hearing. If three-fourths of the other 29 owners vote to sustain the charge, Sterling will be forced to sell the team he has owned since 1981. Silver has said he is confident he has the 23 votes that are necessary.
-- The Associated Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition May 24, 2014 C6
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 5 articles for today)11:44 AM 0
NEW YORK, N.Y. - The NBA has fined New York Knicks centre Samuel Dalembert US$15,000 for elbowing Toronto Raptors centre ...
Photo Store Gallery
- NBA stars set for Christmas TV smorgasbord, league preparing for annual coming-out party
- LeBron James scores 25 points, Dion Waiters adds 21 off bench as Cavs handle Grizzlies 105-91
- 76ers rally in 2nd half to claim 3rd win of the season, 96-88 over Magic
- NBA Capsules
- Cavaliers guard Irving chosen USA Basketball Male Athlete of the Year
- Former NBA player Carl Herrera shot, wounded during apparent robbery attempt in Venezuela
- Danilo Gallinari scores 19 points to lead Nuggets past Pacers, 76-73
- Anthony Davis scores 38, leads Pelicans past short-handed Thunder 101-99
- Knicks centre Dalembert fined $15,000 for elbowing Toronto's Valanciunas
- No Wade, no Bosh, no problem: Heat snap 5-game home slide, top Celtics 100-84
- Kobe's competitiveness: 'It scares a lot of people that are just comfortable being average'
- NBA's longest winning streak this season ends as Memphis beats Golden State Warriors 105-98
- Westbrook scores 31 without Durant, OKC Thunder hold off Lakers 104-103 on Kobe's late miss
- Raptors dunk Pistons
- Timberwolves backup centre Ronny Turiaf done for season after arthroscopic hip surgery
- Lowry has 20 points, 12 assists as Toronto Raptors beat Nets 105-89
- New-Look NBA: For Snyder and other rookie head coaches, time demands are a daily challenge
- Suns guard Goran Dragic misses his 2nd straight game with strained lower back
- Warriors beat Thunder 114-109 after Kevin Durant sprains right ankle
- No dinosaur: Toronto Raptors unveil sleek new logo in short video
- James, Irving and multiple Nets players warm up in 'I Can't Breathe' shirts
- Healthy again, Warriors centre Andrew Bogut says he's 'not going to change the way I play'
- 'Heat Nation ain't going anywhere': Spoelstra addresses crowd as Miami holds open scrimmage
- Rare air: Kobe Bryant passes Michael Jordan for 3rd on NBA's career scoring list
- Asian Olympic body seeks common policy on head coverings to avoid more protests
- Wilt the Stamp: Push to put Wilt Chamberlain on postage stamp successful
- Police sent to ex-Clippers owner Sterling's home by wife, find him with woman from recordings
- Clippers coach Doc Rivers not worried about Las Vegas distractions during training camp
- Timberwolves give Pekovic day off at camp, aim to keep oft-injured big man healthy this year
- Cavaliers fans welcome back LeBron James as team holds scrimmage before nearly 17,000
Ads by Google