The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Silver says it's premature to speculate NBA players will opt out of CBA in 2017

  • Print

NEW YORK, N.Y. - NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said Thursday he has "no expectation" that players will opt out of the collective bargaining agreement in 2017, potentially leading to another lockout.

The 10-year deal the league and players agreed to that ended the 2011 lockout gave either side the right to opt out after six years.

With the league projecting financial growth, there has been speculation that players will take that option in three years, especially since a new national TV contract will be in place by then.

But Silver told a gathering of Associated Press Sports Editors that it was too soon to consider that.

"We'll always be prepared, but I have no expectation that they're going to opt out. I mean, we haven't had any discussions whatsoever about that possibility," Silver said.

"I think it's premature, frankly, for either side to be making determinations about how well this deal has or hasn't worked, and I think especially given that their leader hasn't even been installed yet, which is something that they of course are freely acknowledging. So I don't really buy into sort of that speculation that they're already planning to opt out or that we're thinking about it."

The 2011 deal cut the players' guarantee of basketball revenues from 57 per cent to 50, saving owners hundreds of millions in salary costs. They have seen the benefit, with sales of franchises soaring, though Silver said there are still eight teams that aren't profitable.

The league sought a 10-year deal, much longer than players wanted, so the compromise was reached to allow either side to terminate it early.

"Our league's recently reported economic successes come as no surprise to the players," NBPA acting executive director Ron Klempner said in an email. "That being said, we negotiated for the right to opt out of the CBA, and just as the owners will do, the players will consider our options at the appropriate time. It's way too early to commit to any decision one way or the other."

The players are still seeking a replacement for former executive director Billy Hunter, who was ousted last February. They said recently they expect to hire one by the start of next season.

Meanwhile, owners met in New York last week and got an update on the CBA through what could be its midway point.

"We presented sort of the facts as we know them so far under this agreement," Silver said. "Is it working in ways we predicted, here are things that we would not have predicted under the agreement, here's the amount of free agency movement we're seeing, here's how it's working economically for the league. And I would assume the union at some point will do those same things."

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

O'Shea says the team is going to stick to the plan after first loss

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • A Canada goose protects her nest full of eggs Monday on campus at the University of Manitoba- Standup photo- Apr 30, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • A Great Horned Owl that was caught up in some soccer nets in Shamrock Park in Southdale on November 16th was rehabilitated and returned to the the city park behind Shamrock School and released this afternoon. Sequence of the release. December 4, 2012  BORIS MINKEVICH / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Who are the real Bombers?

View Results

Ads by Google