The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
Former boxing champ Dave Hilton Jr. ordered to stay away from youths under 16
MONTREAL - Former boxing champion Dave Hilton, Jr., who is just days away from finishing a prison sentence for sexually abusing his daughters when they were young, was ordered Thursday to stay away from youths under 16 for the next year.
An arrest warrant was issued for Hilton earlier this week after he refused to sign a document agreeing to the condition. He said he would not be able to see relatives if he signed.
Hilton, who appeared in court in handcuffs, reluctantly signed the document on Thursday when he stood before Judge Salvatore Mascia.
Crown prosecutor Patricia Compagnone said the condition is necessary as a preventive measure to protect society. She said the Crown has reasonable grounds to fear the 45-year-old boxer would reoffend.
Hilton is forbidden from being in the company of youths under 16 unless an adult is present. The adult must also be informed of his situation.
The court appearance was Hilton's second this week.
He was acquitted on Wednesday of charges of sexual assault, assault and assault causing bodily harm against a woman. He was freed after the 48-year-old woman said she no longer wished to pursue the complaint.
The judge ruled evidence was non-existent and ordered an acquittal.
Before he left the courtroom, Hilton agreed to sign a document ordering him to keep the peace for the next year.
This week's court appearances are the latest chapter in the saga of the Fighting Hilton brothers, a legendary clan of Montreal pugilists whose notable in-ring exploits during the 1980s and '90s have been overshadowed by alcohol abuse and criminal activity.
Until he was jailed on the most recent sexual assault charges, Hilton was ordered to live at the halfway house while completing the sentence of seven years and eight months he received in May 2001 for sexually assaulting his two daughters.
Hilton will serve the last few days of his sentence in jail before being freed Saturday.
The daughters, now adults, went to court to get a publication ban lifted on their identities to allow them to speak out.
The sisters, Anne-Marie and Jeannie Hilton, published a book titled "Le Coeur au beurre noir" in 2004 in which they detailed the sordid tale of abuse that began when they were just 12 years old.
The former world super-middleweight champion, arguably the most talented of the legendary boxing siblings, has frequently been in the headlines for what he's done outside of the ring.
While on parole in 2007, Hilton, then 43, returned to the ring and won a bout in Montreal that was mired in controversy given the crimes he had been convicted of.
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly