Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Cre-Com trio gets Matheson Awards
Each of the winners will receive an award of $750, a plaque and a 2009 MSSA membership. The presentations will be made on Jan. 25 at the 53rd annual Manitoba Athletes of the Year dinner at the Delta Winnipeg.
The Matheson Awards, established in 2002, provide financial support to Manitoba post-secondary students who are pursuing a career in sportswriting, sports broadcasting, sports production, or sports public relations. The awards are named in honour of former Winnipeg Tribune sports editor and CJOB commentator Jack Matheson, who was among the first to hire graduates in communication training in Manitoba.
Coates has two years remaining in her studies toward a degree in the Joint Communications course at the University of Winnipeg and Red River College. She has been working as a freelance writer for several local publications. She is also the health, sports and lifestyle editor of Red River College's campus magazine, The Projector.
Grassie, who has master and bachelor of arts degrees at the University of Manitoba, is a first-year student in Creative Communications. He was sports editor of The Manitoban (the student newspaper at the University of Manitoba) from 2000-2003 and has written freelance curling stories for both of Manitoba's major daily newspapers. He has been the head professional since 1996 at the Deer Lodge Tennis Club and skipped his team to the Canadian Mixed Curling Championship in 2008.
Cameron is a second-year Creative Communications student who has been the play-by-play voice of the Beausejour Blades of the Manitoba Junior Hockey League and has worked with two local radio stations. He will be doing a student work placement with the Manitoba Moose in media relations.
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition December 24, 2008 C9
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 10 articles for today)1:04 PM 0
TORONTO - Growing up with hockey in his blood, Kyle Dubas learned an important lesson from his grandfather.
"Never let the ...
Photo Store Gallery
- Blue Bombers prepare lineup for Friday match against BC Lions
- Bombers don't seem in much of a rush
- Blue Bombers name press box in honour of two prominent sports journalists
- After LeBron went home, Stamkos understands but ignores Leafs speculation
- At the door to a dream
- No Moore Mr. Nice Guy
- Seattle Seahawks WR Sidney Rice surprisingly announces retirement before start of camp
- When it comes to Bombers' defence... Moe knows
- Jets sign Chiarot to new two-way contract
- From pipers to Loch Ness Monster, Scottishness celebrated at Commonwealth Games
- Very rough night for Blue
- Hat trick of signings for Jets
- Moore than a feeling
- Blue feeling like bongo drums
- At the door to a dream
- Bombers dissect Thursday's drubbing by Eskimos
- Whipping exposes abundant flaws
- Blue review gaffe-filled game
- Jets sign forwards Eric O'Dell, Patrice Cormier and John Albert
- O-line a disaster area
- Evander Kane fuels trade rumours
- Jets ink former Ducks' centre Perreault
- Jets draft excitement
- Bombers trade for QB Portis
- Feoli-Gudino gets it done
- Banks asks to be released from Bombers
- Bombers linebacker Korey Banks suspended
- Bombers gut out a comeback
- Bomber ticket sales shoot up after win over Argos
- Amazing 3-0 start for Blue
Ads by Google