May 23, 2015


Football

Bears won't cave without Cutler, they claim

LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- The Chicago Bears believe they can get by without Jay Cutler. That theory might be tested this week.

Coach Lovie Smith said Cutler is improving after sitting out the second half of Sunday's loss to Houston because of a concussion. Whether he'll be ready to play against San Francisco on Monday night is another issue, but they think Jason Campbell is a solid backup.

As for Cutler?

"We're still evaluating him, he's meeting with people, medical staff, our trainers and all of that, but he's getting better," Smith said Wednesday. "We do have a little bit more time and that's always good."

What wasn't good was that helmet-to-helmet late in the first half that hit Cutler took from Tim Dobbins, who was fined $30,000 by the league on Wednesday. The Bears believe that's when the concussion occurred.

Cutler initially did not show any symptoms and took seven more snaps in the first half. It wasn't until halftime that the symptoms showed up, and the Bears pulled their quarterback at that point.

The concussion wasn't the first for Cutler. He also missed a game after being sacked nine times in the first half of a loss at the New York Giants in October 2010. But Smith said he isn't worried about this becoming a recurring issue with his quarterback.

"I just worry about the one he had the other night," Smith said. "I can't look into the future or anything like that. Every case is different. Jay's feeling a whole lot better. It'll all play out."

The Bears will start practicing this week on Thursday, and if Cutler isn't ready to play against the 49ers, they figure to go with Campbell. They also brought in veteran Josh McCown this week as a backup.

With Campbell in the mix after signing in the off-season, the Bears believe they can at least avoid the meltdown that came after Cutler's season-ending injury a year ago.

Campbell threw for 94 yards in the second half last week, completing 11 of 19 passes.

-- The Associated Press

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition November 15, 2012 D4

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective January 2015.

Winnipeg Free Press | @WinnipegNews

May 22 10:40 pm

WFP reporter wins national award wfp.to/RTT

Winnipeg Free Press | @WinnipegNews

May 22 8:34 pm

Pork prices still soaring wfp.to/RT8

Winnipeg Free Press | @WinnipegNews

May 22 8:02 pm

Bodybuilders beware: supplements a 'Wild West' wfp.to/RTv

Winnipeg Free Press | @WinnipegNews

May 22 7:12 pm

Blue Bombers beef up D-line, add Kheeston Randall wfp.to/RTL

Ed Tait | @WFPEdTait

May 22 6:58 pm

#Bombers add import DL Kheeston Randall (6-5, 310 Texas). Drafted in 7th rd in 2012 by Miami. Appeared in 12G. Had stints w Minn/Cinn

Scroll down to load more

Top