Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Posted: 01/29/2014 5:54 PM | Comments: 0
Both the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and Hamilton Tiger-Cats are in negotiations for free agent quarterback Zach Collaros.
Bombers GM Kyle Walters and Tiger-Cats GM Kent Austin have both exchanged numbers and proposals with Collaros and his representatives.
Collaros is seeking starting quarterback money and it appears both franchises are willing to fork it over. It’s unknown which team has the inside track, although the Hamilton gig would put Collaros at the helm of a contender with a proven head coach.
The Bombers opportunity is a little more of an unknown at this stage with a both a rookie GM in Walters and a rookie head coach in Mike O’Shea.
The rumour mill in the league has the Bombers interested in signing two quarterbacks, potentially veteran Henry Burris and then a prospect such as Collaros or Saskatchewan Roughriders backup Drew Willy.
The Collaros sweepstakes have begun earlier than expected, with the Toronto Argonauts announcing Wednesday morning that they have granted the highly coveted CFL quarterback his outright release.
Collaros was under contract and not scheduled to become a free agent until Feb. 15, but the Argos releasing him means he is now free to sign with any team effective immediately.
The Bombers issued the following statement Wednesday morning after the Argos announced Collaros had been released:
"We are continuing to evaluate all options at all positions, including the quarterback position, and are always looking to improve our roster in every area."
Club spokesman Darren Cameron said the team would have no comment on the team’s interest in any specific player, including Collaros.
Privately, Bombers sources have said Collaros’s lack of playing time -- he’s started just seven games in the CFL — makes him largely an unknown commodity and that concerns them as they look for a solution to their long-term quarterbacking woes.
An injury to Argos starter Ricky Ray led to Collaros starting seven games in 2013. He went 190-287 for 2,316 yards, 14 touchdowns and six interceptions and finished with a QB rating of 98.4.
While those are strong numbers, that’s a very small sample size and sources indicate the Bombers have been studying the alternate possibility of signing 39-year-old veteran QB Henry Burris — who led the CFL in passing the past two seasons as the Hamilton starter and is also a free agent as of Feb. 15 — as a more proven solution to their problem at quarterback.
Also on Wednesday, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats announced they have traded non-import defensive back Matt Bucknor to the Bombers in exchange for non-import receiver Giovanni Aprile.
Aprile was Winnipeg's second-round draft pick in 2012 (16th overall) but he never did play a regular-season game for the club. Bucknor had 43 defensive tackles for the Ticats in 2012, but had just two in 2013.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
Remade Bombers looking like pros
Reviving the glory days
Blue finds gold in Florida
Blue Bombers notebook
The dawn of Drew
Bombers brass pleased with training camp results
Bomber hopeful sees gridiron as both an owner and a player
Buck where he belongs
Bellefeuille making most of positives
Brohm spends honeymoon with Bombers