November 29, 2015


-6° C, Sunny

Full Forecast

Record: 5–13–0

Winnipeg Blue Bombers Logo

Blue Bomber Report

Special weather statement in effect

Bombers cut Hall, 10 other players

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers announced their final cuts Friday morning -- and veteran QB Max Hall is among the fallen.

Hall, a former NFLer with the Arizona Cardinals who was the only backup QB the Bombers had in training camp this year with CFL experience, struggled in training camp this spring and threw a bad interception late in the 4th quarter of a 23-20 Winnipeg loss in Calgary last Saturday.

Max Hall pulls down the ball and goes for a run at  Blue Bomber training camp earlier in June.


Max Hall pulls down the ball and goes for a run at Blue Bomber training camp earlier in June. Purchase Photo Print

The decision to cut Hall means the Bombers will head into next Thursday’s 2014 CFL regular season opener at home against the Toronto Argonauts with a starting QB in Drew Willy who has just four previous starts in his CFL career and two backups in Brian Brohm and Robert Marve who have never played in the CFL regular season.

Bombers head coach Mike O’Shea said Brohm will start the season as the team’s No. 2 quarterback behind Willy.

"We’re very pleased with Brian Brohm’s upside. We felt he could make throws all over the field. His vision of the field is good and with more time, he’s got quite a bit of upside. I like his demeanour too...

"He’s got a certain calmness about him... He just seems very even-keeled."

O’Shea was asked if his club’s lack of previous CFL experience at the quarterback position is a concern. "No it’s not. They’re getting better everyday. Do they need experience? Absolutely. But I think Drew has shown when he’s got in there against (first team) type of defences, he’s moved the ball effectively, he’s got a good completion percentage, he’s accurate -- he’s proven all camp he’s very accurate.

"He’s making throws we want him to make. He’s making decisions we want him to make. And he’s hungry to get better."

The Bombers announced a total of 11 cuts Friday morning and said in a release that they will announce their practice roster on Sunday.

The other 10 cuts today were: import receivers Mario Urrutia, Mark Dell, Jaymar Johnson and Bert Reed; import defensive backs Stephon Morris, Michael Ray Garvin and Matt Pierce; import defensive lineman Willie Moseley; import offensive lineman Jesse Peterson; and non-import receiver Taylor Renaud.

O’Shea said none of today’s cuts have been offered practice roster positions.




Updated on Friday, June 20, 2014 at 10:24 AM CDT: Corrects that cuts were announced Friday morning

1:25 PM: Updates with full writethru

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective January 2015.

Scroll down to load more