Blue Bomber Report Record: 3–1–0
Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Bombers ready for second of three tilts against Als this season
MONTREAL – There will be another 16 regular-season games still to play no matter what happens here Thursday night at Stade Percival Molson between the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and Montreal Alouettes.
But a second consecutive loss by the Bombers to the Alouettes would settle one thing already in this young 2013 CFL season: the season series between the two teams.
The Bombers and Als play each other just three times this season. With Winnipeg having already lost to Montreal in Week 1 – 38-33 last Thursday at Investors Group Field – a second Bombers loss here tonight would give Montreal the tiebreaker should the two teams finish tied in the standings at the end of the regular season.
While that might seem a distant prospect at this point, it bears reminding that the Bombers and Als finished tied for first place in the East Division at 10-8 just two years ago – and the Bombers got the bye to the East Final based on winning the season series between the two teams.
The Bombers, of course, went on to win the 2011 East Final and advance to the Grey Cup, while Montreal never got out of the semifinal in 2011, getting upset at home by Hamilton.
All of which is to say that while it is still very, very early in this CFL season, tonight’s game does have implications – beyond simple points in the standings – that could reach all the way into next November.
The Bombers game-time scratches tonight are expected to be offensive lineman Chris Kowalczuk, receivers Isaac Anderson and Doug Pierce and defensive lineman Ryan Lucas.
Winnipeg is expected to have one new starter this week -- defensive tackle Zach Anderson came off the practice roster to replace JT Gilmore, who hurt his calf during last week’s game and is out for another three weeks.
Kickoff is scheduled for 6 p.m. CT. The game is being broadcast live on TSN and CJOB.
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
More Bomber Report
More Bomber Report
(1 of 23 articles for this week)07/23/2014 3:45 PM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Very rough night for Blue
- Bombers, Esks: press reset and presto...
- Blue feeling like bongo drums
- Moore than a feeling
- Bombers dissect Thursday's drubbing by Eskimos
- Whipping exposes abundant flaws
- Blue review gaffe-filled game
- O-line a disaster area
- Lacklustre Blue didn't help their bottom line
- List of injured Bombers grows
- Banks asks to be released from Bombers
- Bombers trade for QB Portis
- Feoli-Gudino gets it done
- Bombers linebacker Korey Banks suspended
- Bombers gut out a comeback
- Bomber ticket sales shoot up after win over Argos
- Amazing 3-0 start for Blue
- Bombers release Ford
- Won hard and put away wet
- Slick Willy puts on a great show
Ads by Google