Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 7/9/2013 (1119 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
A contrite Justin Goltz faced the media early Saturday afternoon, saying he’d learned from his mistakes during the past week — on the field and off of it — and vowing to do better as he prepares to make his second consecutive start at quarterback for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers Sunday afternoon at Investors Group Field in the Banjo Bowl.
"This week was humbling and a learning experience to say the least
"On the field and off of it," Goltz said Saturday after the Bombers staged one final light practice at IGF in advance of Sunday’s clash with the Saskatchewan Roughriders.
"One of the the things I learned this week was that it’s not all about Justin Goltz. It’s about this team, it’s about getting wins. And if I’m out there being the leader I need to be, I think the wins will come."
Goltz found himself a centre of controversy over the past week. A pair of touchdown celebrations he did in Regina last Sunday in a loss to Saskatchewan created a minor tempest, particularly in Regina where fans were angry one of Goltz’s celebrations borrowed mockingly from the one their beloved tailback, Kory Sheets, always does after TDs.
Mea culpa, said Goltz. "If there’s any regret, that’s one thing I kind of regret," said Goltz. "I’m not naive, I know there’s a lot I have to prove in this league and prove myself. And even if I have proven myself, it doesn’t give me the right to mock anyone else.
"It was just a high energy, emotional thing that kind of came out. If I did my own thing, that’s one thing. But to mock another guy? I understand the criticism of that."
Goltz’s comments marked an abrupt about-face. When he was asked about the controversy earlier in the week, Goltz lashed out at the media, saying they’d overblown the episode and accusing the media of "picking on me."
Goltz also took back those comments on Saturday.
"You guys are just doing your job — I understand that," said to the assembled media. "And I need to be mature enough to understand you guys are just doing your job. I need to go out and do my job and let the chips fall where they may."
QUICK HITS — The Bombers, as expected added returner Aaron Woods and offensive lineman Andre Douglas to the nine-game injury list on Saturday... The club also removed offensive lineman Tyson Pencer from the nine-game injury list and placed him on the 46-man roster. Pencer will not play Sunday but head coach Tim Burke said the Bombers first pick in the 2012 CFL entry draft will get his chance to play in the coming weeks... Receiver Jade Etienne, who took a blow to the head last weekend, is still suffering ill effects and will not play Sunday, Burke said... Also sitting out Sunday will be RB Chad Simpson, who has a sore foot.