Blue Bomber Report Record: 6–3–0
Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
A list of note and a tidbit
First things first, the CFL released today its December edition of the 2011 Canadian Draft rankings and that’s of particular interest to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, who currently hold the first overall pick (but are said to be trying to deal to move down in the first round and grab another later pick).
The interesting name on the list is Vaughn Martin, ranked fourth overall. The guy’s obviously got talent - he’s already been drafted and is playing for the San Diego Chargers of the NFL. That’s a risky pick for any CFL team and, in particular, the Bombers who need Canadian help now.
Powered by Sports Direct Inc.
The other thing to consider is the receiver position. As much as everyone would like to see the Bombers upgrade there, the late-season play of Cory Watson and the team’s expected pursuit of Brandon product Chris Bauman – should he reach free agency and not be re-signed by the Hamilton Tiger-Cats – might make that less of a priority than expected, especially early in the draft.
Here is the CFL release:
CFL Prospects: December 2010 Rankings
TORONTO - The Canadian Football League's Scouting Bureau published today its December edition of the top 15 prospects eligible for the 2011 CFL Canadian Draft. Joining the top 15 list are two new faces, Concordia offensive lineman Anthony Barrette (13) and Saskatchewan receiver Jade Etienne (15), while the original top three ranked players remain in the top positions.
As first published in September, the projected number one prospect continues to be Philip Blake, a 6'3", 315 pound centre from Toronto who plays at Baylor University, where he has also played offensive tackle.
The next top 15 prospects list will be published in April prior to the draft and after the 2011 Evaluation Camp which is to be held from March 4-6 in Toronto, Ontario.
Top 15 CFL Canadian Draft Prospects
1. Philip Blake OL Baylor -- (1)
2. Scott Mitchell OL Rice -- (2)
3. Anthony Parker SB Calgary -- (3)
4. Vaughn Martin DT Western/San Diego -- (8)
5. Tyler Holmes OL Tulsa -- (9)
6. Moe Petrus OL Connecticut -- (4)
7. Nathan Coehoorn WR Calgary -- (7)
8. Matt O'Donnell OL Queen's -- (6)
9. Renaldo Sagesse DL Michigan -- (5)
10. Henoc Muamba LB St. FX -- (11)
11. Hugh O'Neill P/K Alberta -- (10)
12. Pascal Baillargeon OL Laval -- (15)
13. Anthony Barrette OL Concordia -- (-)
14. Matt Walter RB Calgary -- (14)
15. Jade Etienne WR Saskatchewan (-)
And now the tidbit...
Had this passed along by a friend of the family – former Bomber head coach Dave Ritchie is now the boss of the Zurich Renegades and will be moving to Switzerland in the new year. Good luck to the old guy. Spoke to him this fall and he desperately wanted to get back into coaching.
To read about Ritchie’s hiring, click here.
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
Photo Store Gallery
- Buck Pierce Update #764
- So long Gallant and other news...
- Fantasy Found
- A list of note and a tidbit
- On the hunt for Hunt
- Bomber staff to be poached?
- CFL Draft rankings move Mitchell to No. 1
Ads by Google