Blue Bomber Report Record: 3–1–0
Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
On a day where one quarterback got clipped (Adam DiMichele) and another was anointed savior for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers (Buck Pierce), a few things come to mind. Four, in fact:
1. No surprise Pierce got the nod to be the Bombers starter when the club opens up the season against Hamilton next week. For my money, there was no quarterback competition between Pierce and Steven Jyles, as the former B.C. Lion had a lot more CFL starts (34) than Jyles (1). That experience was the difference in the decision. But what really impresses about Pierce is how he assumed control of the offence (and the team) right from opening day – without any proclamation of leadership from the coaching staff. The respect level from the players is obviously high. Man, when was the last time you could say that about a Bombers starting quarterback? Good sign for the Blue and Gold.
Powered by Sports Direct Inc.
2. Rookie Alex Brink was named the No. 3 quarterback, after DiMichele was let go this morning. Don’t know if the coaches actually feel this way, but you get the sense they thought the ceiling on Brink was a little higher than it was for DiMichele. Time will tell. Who knows? Given the running styles of both Pierce and Jyles, the coaches’ confidence ini Brink could be put to the test sooner than they think.
3. Head coach Paul LaPolice said he told the quarterbacks their situations last night. No kidding. Pierce had a lot of jump during the two-hour workout at Rods Field today – more than his first day in camp. Lots of velocity and very accurate. Brink had a little bounce in his step, too. Jyles…not so much.
4. With Pierce as the No. 1 guy, the biggest question now is: When do people in this town start screaming for another quarterback to get in there? The over/under is Week 4.
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
Photo Store Gallery
- The Mike Kelly tirade
- So long Gallant and other news...
- Bombers release Joe Smith
- How do you solve a problem like Adarius?
- On the hunt for Hunt
Ads by Google