Blue Bomber Report Record: 6–10–0
Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Jonathan Hefney touched down in Winnipeg this afternoon. His arrival was expected given he is still under contract with the Bombers and risked suspension if he didn’t report following his release from the Detroit Lions practice roster earlier this month.
Also expected is the impact Hefney should have in the Bombers secondary – if we go by how effective he was in Blue and Gold last season. Another expectation regarding Hefney: The question of his contract and his long-term future in Winnipeg.
Will he sign an extension with the Bombers?
Will he play out these six games and test free agency?
Will he take another shot at the NFL?
Judging from the fact that he hasn’t signed an extension, it’s certain Hefney is going to play out these six remaining games and test the free agent waters on both sides of the border in the off-season. It’s the player’s option, of course, but it will be interesting to see how the club addresses this moving forward. They would love to lock up Hefney for the next couple years but to do that, they’ll need to open the wallet. If the team puts forth a substantial offer (making him one of the top earners on the roster) and Hefney still walks away, then the club has done all they can do. If they try to lowball Hefney and he bolts, then questions about how committed this team is to taking the next step will pop up. The next five or six months could be very interesting regarding Hefney and the Bombers.
Other notes from the day:
- Bombers head coach Paul LaPolice wouldn’t commit to naming Hefney fit for Saturday’s big game with the B.C. Lions. The feisty defensive back will only get two days of practice time in, and may not have a complete handle on the playbook before kickoff.
- For those counting Hefney as a savior, I have two words for you: Derrick Doggett.
- WR Terence Jeffers-Harris and WR Greg Carr both were at practice and both will probably be in the lineup Saturday. Jeffers-Harris said his high ankle sprain isn’t quite 100 per cent, but he’ll be good to go. Carr and his bruised shin, meanwhile, looked fine. LaPolice said both will be evaluated as the week moves along.
- If I’m WR Adarius Bowman, I’d be a little worried these days.
- Missing Bombers from practice: QB Steven Jyles (sick) and DB Deon Beasley (personal). Both are expected to play in Vancouver. Also probable for the game is LB Bernard Hicks (knee), who was back in regular rotation today.
- The Lions have named Travis Lulay their starter for the game. When told about the decision, Casey Printers fumbled whatever he was holding at the time.
- Finally, don’t know what’s left to say about the ‘Henry Burris wearing a bra’ photos circulating around the web this days (I can’t find a decent news link with the pictures but trust me, they’re not hard to find) other than this: Welcome to 2010, Hank, where everything everyone does is being documented in some form. Personally, the push-up pics barely raise the needle on my shock meter. If I’m a Stamps fan, I’m more concerned about his putrid play in that B.C. loss last weekend.
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
Photo Store Gallery
Ads by Google