Blue Bomber Report Record: 6–12–0
Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Random thoughts and notes from Medical Day
You can read about the cuts, suspension of Stefan LeFors and Ian Logan’s move to the disabled list in Sunday’s On7, but here’s some leftover stuff from Saturday that won’t make the paper...
- Interested by the Bombers addition of Andre Sadeghian, the Canadian running back, to the roster. He was cut last week by Hamilton and has bounced around the CFL, but could be an interesting pick-up for the Bomb Squad. Head coach Paul LaPolice said he wants his fullback to be more active in the offence and Sadeghian was a CIS second-team all-star back in 2007. He’ll push incumbent Jon Oosterhuis and Daryl Stephenson for that job.
- Hearing a lot of comments from the veteran players about their favourable first impression of LaPolice. A sampling, from linebacker Ike Charlton:
"I’m just so excited to be here. I like what I’m hearing and seeing from the coaches. We’re going to be into detail, we’re going to get after it but we’re going to have fun and have a good atmosphere. Just when you sit down and talk to (the staff) you can see their knowledge of the game.
That and just from preparing to got against LaPolice’s offence I already know what I’m going to get. These guys are going to attack you. I like the fact that they’re hands on and they’re teaching, teaching, teaching."
- I’d bet a ton of cash – OK, maybe a fiver – that the Calgary Stampeders will pay close attention to what the Bombers and other teams do with their offensive line talent during camp. The Stamps were hit with a surprise on Friday when O-lineman Jesse Newman suddenly announced his retirement for personal reasons. Couple that with Dimitri Tsoumpas being in Miami with the Dolphins and with Jeff Pilon and John Comiskey (who came out of retirement this offseason but then pulled the plug) both retiring and the Stamps are thin in the trenches. If import Kelly Butler continues to impress and the Bombers stay injury free, don’t be surprised if the Stamps sniff around what the Bombers do here and what happens to other O-line prospects across the CFL.
- Sad news out of Calgary, by the way: the Stamps released University of Manitoba Bison running back Matt Henry Saturday after he got hurt on the first day of rookie camp. This guy needs a break and hopefully he can get a look by another CFL team – maybe the Bombers? -- if he’s healthy.
- The Eskimos have added former Bomber DB Chijioke Onyenegecha on Saturday. Always liked this guy and the Esks have a fascination this year on adding bigger, more physical defensive backs. Still, our take when Onyenegecha was here before was he was out of position in the Canadian game and should be playing SAM linebacker.
- Sunday’s practice time goes from 8:30 a.m.-12:45 p.m.
Photo Store Gallery
Most Popular The Bomber Insiders
Ads by Google