In today’s Free Press , Eazy-E (Ed Tait) and I look back at the first nine games of the season and make bold predictions for the second half of the schedule. The three from my end were the ones that made the cut. Here are five others that wound up on the cutting room floor (or whatever the electronic word processing garbage dump equivalent would be):
1. Citing family reasons and a legitimate fear for his life, Edmonton QB Ricky Ray removes himself from the game in Week 15 (against Hamilton). Literally. He just heads to the airport in his gear and grabs a flight home. Good-bye football.
2. Bombers head coach Paul LaPolice throws the challenge flag after a holding penalty wasn’t called on rush end Phillip Hunt in a game against Toronto. He loses the challenge, however, when officials can’t come to an agreement on WHICH holding infraction he wanted over-turned on that specific snap. Finding the challenge flag system ineffective, a frustrated LaPolice throws a tantrum instead.
3. Despite all of the pieces being in place before they got there, Lyle Bauer and John Murphy take full credit for the Stampeders success.
4. After another missed pass interference call, CFL officiating boss Tom Higgins loses his cool and smashes all the radios in the command centre. Really? You thought they had TVs in there?
5. With the mercury below zero, Eskimos receiver Kelly Campbell purposely leaves home with wet hair in Week 18, trying to prove to people that he can, in fact, catch a cold.
Enough kidding around. Let’s get down to business:
- Starting with the no-shows at practice today. No RB Fred Reid (flu). No DB Alex Suber (hamstring). No DB/KR Deon Beasley (shoulder). LaPolice says all should make it back from the Banjo Bowl. Have to figure the nasty weather this morning played a factor in telling those guys just to chill out.
- Looks like import Andre Douglas is healthy enough to start at left tackle Sunday, with Luke Fritz serving as the sixth O-lineman. Question: Which American will have to come out now?
- According to the club, nothing new to report on the Jesse Lumsden front.
- This is only based on a couple practices and a YouTube video, but I would really like to see what KR Chris Garrett can do against the Riders Sunday.
- And finally, speaking of videos, here’s one to get you in the mood for Sunday.