Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 22/6/2009 (2771 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
MONTREAL - Random thoughts and three dots from the first Bomber road trip of the year…
- Fans who sometimes moan and groan about the coverage of the Bombers by the local media ought to head outside the provincial borders once in awhile. All the news here today focussed on the sale of the Canadiens back to the Molson family while Michael Phelps swam here on the weekend in the Canada Cup. The Alouettes, for the record, were on page B5 of the Montreal Gazette Sports section. And that’s with Football Reporters of Canada Hall of Famer Herb Zurkowsky penning another fine piece of work.
- We’ll be honest: nothing is better than a CFL road trip to Montreal. We’re set up in downtown Montreal and McGill Stadium, while quaint, provides an excellent view of the skyline. And just FYI, the work is being done on the stadium to expand it from 20,000 to roughly 25,000.
- We had a long chat with QB Stefan LeFors on Sunday with the feature on the Bomber starter scheduled to run in Tuesday’s paper. First impression: good dude and it’s easy to see why his teammates have rallied around him.
- It means diddly until the regular season begins, but Alexis Serna was hammering 50-plus bombs in practice today. Worth noting was the sight of him kibitzing with head coach Mike Kelly - don’t think we saw the kicker smile at all last year.
- Finally, I get the honour of working the first three quarters of Tuesday’s game as the colour guy on CJOB alongside Bob Irving before moving back to the press box to file my stuff for The Free Press. Let me tell you, it’s real treat to pull on the headset, especially because Bob is the best in the land and he makes it easy for a newspaper hack like me to slide into the chair and fill in.