Blue Bomber Report Record: 6–3–0
Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
The day after
Some things to think about as Chad Owens catches his breath...
- Obviously the hot topic around Winnipeg today is the Blue Bombers special teams -- specifically untimely knack of transforming missed field goal tries to opposition touchdowns in the course of 15 seconds or so. I'm no rocket surgeon, but going from a +3 to a -7 on the scoreboard appears to be a crippling 10-point swing. Tough to come back from that in any football league.
Powered by Sports Direct Inc.
- Many feel the missed field goal was the turning point of the game but for my money, the big momentum moment swing came on the single point the Argos earned at the end of the half. Think about it: Toronto just blew a 16-0 lead and were down a point with three second left. They take the Alexis Serna squib kick and punt it right back down the field, forcing Serna to jump on the loose ball in the end-zone. How easy would it have been for the Argos to just take a knee and get into the room? Instead, coach Jim Barker sends a message to his team that every point counts. The energy they picked up from that play carried the Argos into the second half.
- So much for my 0-18 prediction for the Boatmen.
- Isn't it amazing how the Bombers fortunes can turn so quickly? Friday afternoon, everyone was thinking an 2-0 start with a chance to make it three against a club they already handled in Week 1 (Hamilton). Now, the Blue and Gold have to travel to Steeltown and could face the prospects of coming home with a losing record.
- Bringing in Derrick Doggett will no doubt help, but why did it take so long? The guy was the best special teamer on the club last year. The minute the Pittsburgh Steelers cut him loose he should have been on a flight up to Winnipeg.
- Finally, can someone please swing by the stadium to check on Owens? He might still be running.
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
Photo Store Gallery
- Buck Pierce Update #764
- So long Gallant and other news...
- Fantasy Found
- A list of note and a tidbit
- On the hunt for Hunt
- Bomber staff to be poached?
- CFL Draft rankings move Mitchell to No. 1
Ads by Google