Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Posted: 09/5/2013 1:00 AM | Comments: 0
THERE have been two additions to the long-term injury list for the Bombers this week.
Coach Tim Burke said a hamstring injury for offensive lineman Andre Douglas and a foot injury for returner Aaron Woods will have both men "out a long time."
Asked to specify what that meant, Burke said both men could end up on the nine-game injury list.
Burke said DB Jovon Johnson will handle most of the punt return duties -- as he has in previous seasons -- now that Woods is out.
As for the hole on the offensive line, the Bombers had Shannon Boatman practising at right guard and Paul Swiston moving over to play right tackle at practice Wednesday. Burke called it an "experiment."
Burke said QB Buck Pierce -- who practised with a helmet and shoulder pads on Wednesday -- is still nursing an unspecified upper-body injury and won't play this week.
The good news on Wednesday was that the third Bombers player injured on Sunday in Regina -- receiver Jade Etienne -- has been cleared to practise today after taking a hard hit to the head. Defensive end Alex Hall was also absent from the first day of practice this week -- as he was last week -- but Burke said it was nothing more than "little owies" and Hall should be back today.
Burke also said the club will likely soon take offensive lineman Tyson Pencer -- their first-round pick in 2012 -- off the nine-game injury list.
-- -- --
Burke said a mini-camp of sorts the team held on Tuesday saw the coaches work out a cornerback, a safety/weakside linebacker, two defensive ends and QB Levi Brown.
The club announced Wednesday they signed Brown and Burke said one of the other four players the team worked out will also likely be signed.
Additionally, the team will announce today they have signed offensive lineman Colt Schulte (6-6, 296, Missouri Western), who was at practice on Wednesday but not formally working out with the team.
To make room for the additions, expect the Bombers to announce a couple of cuts today. But don't expect it to be any starters -- those players are safe for at least one more week.
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition September 5, 2013 0
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
Big Blue talking with two
QB Portis to remain in Bomber fold
Bombers interested in coaches Richie Hall, Mike Benevides
Two stand out against all other candidates
Etcheverry sacked because innovative defence was ineffective
Bombers fire coach Etcheverry
Bombers sign DB Jones to contract extension
Brace for return of Bellefeuille, Etcheverry