December 9, 2013 Sections
Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
After two years in the Bombers system -- though he spent 2012 on the injured list -- Tyson Pencer will finally get his chance to start at right guard. The 6-7 British Columbian was originally pegged as the sixth offensive lineman for Saturday's game in Edminton against the Eskimos, with newly acquired Marc Parenteau getting the start. But on Wednesday, the coaching staff had a change of heart and picked the "tough guy" Pencer instead.
"Sometimes, the best way to become a good player is just by playing," said head coach Tim Burke. "We as coaches, we always want to put somebody in there that we know can get the job done to a certain extent. Sometimes we're not quick enough to put a new body in there who hasn't played enough. So let's see what we can learn."
Pencer, 24, was elated by the news, saying he's been working hard on cleaning up his game. "I feel like I've got to prove a lot," he said. "Not only to myself, but to everyone else that I can compete and I can have a starting spot on this offence not just (for) now but for a long time coming."
One thing's for sure: The jovial Foster is likely to be a media fave during his time here. He said he knows he can't replace the community presence Buck Pierce left, but he does want to let Winnipeggers know he's "a good guy, a community guy." He's also a dedicated reader and used to be an avid writer in college. That's not usual for a football player, is it? "That's why I'm not a football player, I'm an athlete playing football," he quipped.
-- Melissa Martin
Looks alright to me
Bombers head coach Tim Burke on Wednesday waded into the Simeon Rottier controversy, saying the recently un-banished Edmonton offensive lineman actually plays alright.
"I watched a game film and specifically watched him and didn't think he played too bad," said Burke.
Burke also said he agrees with the CFLPA that individual players shouldn't get called out in the media, as Esks GM Ed Hervey did to Rottier last week. "To actually point someone out and say, 'This guy's playing like crap' -- I don't think you should do that," said Burke.
The CFL Scouting Bureau on Wednesday released it's list of Top 15 prospects for the 2014 CFL entry draft and there were no Manitoba Bisons on the list. Topping the list is Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, a 6-5, 305 pound offensive lineman from McGill University.
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition September 12, 2013 D6