Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 10/6/2014 (1021 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
And with that, Winnipeg Blue Bombers rookie defensive back Michael Ray Garvin will forever be the answer to the question: Name the first pro football player to be called for pass interference as the result of a video review?
Garvin, an off-season free-agent signing out of Florida State, went into the history books at 8:36 of the fourth quarter Monday night at Investors Group Field when Toronto Argonauts head coach Scott Milanovich successfully challenged Garvin had interfered with Argos receiver K.J. Stroud on an incomplete pass from QB Casey Pachall.
The play was initially ruled an incomplete pass, but the ensuing review -- the first since the CFL this off-season became the first pro football league to offer video review for pass interference calls or non-calls -- resulted in Garvin being flagged for interference and the ball advanced 45 yards to the Winnipeg 35.
Three plays later, the Argos had the ball in the Winnipeg end zone for what was ultimately the game-winning score.
The CFL's decision to make pass interference a reviewable call this season was not without its detractors, including Bombers head coach Mike O'Shea, who repeated his skepticism Monday night after the loss to the Argos.
"It worked out well for coach Milanovich... I believe it was pass interference," said O'Shea.
"The rule worked. Do I like the rule? Not really. There might be some problems with it at some point."
-- -- --
While there was lots to like for Bombers fans in Winnipeg's 24-22 loss to the Argos, one aspect of Winnipeg's game frustratingly familiar to anyone who watched last year's 3-15 season was the way the team again killed itself with penalties.
The Bombers took 13 penalties for a whopping 165 yards and O'Shea said he didn't need to inform his troops the effect that had on the team's chances to win.
"Penalties killed us and they know it," said O'Shea. "They all understand the challenges your team faces when you're backed up. They'll have to correct it and be critical of themselves and as coaches we'll have to inspect it harder in practice."
O'Shea was asked if he will introduce a regime of fines this season for players who take particularly egregious penalties, something other head coaches have been known to do.
O'Shea seemed cool to the idea, suggesting he wants to surround himself with players who punish themselves for dumb plays.
"I want guys who, when they take a penalty, they have a hard time looking at their teammates. Those are the guys we want."
-- -- --
Bombers first-round draft pick Matthias Goossen got some reps at centre Monday night and came away wide-eyed with his first taste of the pro game.
"It was amazing -- to come into a stadium with around 20,000 fans is just unreal. It's the first time it's ever happened to me. I was just soaking it all in. Obviously, the first couple plays you're a bit nervous, but then I think as I sort of settled in, it became a lot more normal, a lot more just natural for me."
-- -- --
Bombers non-import receiver Julian Feoli-Gudino boosted his chances of making the regular-season roster with a strong performance that included a six-yard touchdown reception from QB Drew Willy.
Feoli-Gudino -- who played 14 games with the Argos in 2013 and was signed as a free agent over the winter -- also had another catch for 23 yards and was pleased with what he showed the Bombers brain trust.
"I'm pretty satisfied with my performance, but there's always room for improvement," said Feoli-Gudino, who was born in Costa Rica and played his university ball at Laval.
"It definitely gives you a little boost. Going through (training) camp and everything, they are tough, tough weeks. Tough schedules and everything. And to get a little boost like that, it's always good for the energy."