September 3, 2015


Heat warning in effect

CFL

Bombers quiet as rumours swirl about tentative CFL labour deal

Winnipeg Blue Bombers' quarterback Drew Willy, during practice at Investors Group Field, Sunday, June 8, 2014.

TREVOR HAGAN / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

Winnipeg Blue Bombers' quarterback Drew Willy, during practice at Investors Group Field, Sunday, June 8, 2014. Photo Store

As details of a tentative new CFL labour deal swirled on Sunday, several Blue Bombers players were keeping mum on the specifics — publicly, at least. 

After wrapping their walkthrough at Investors Group Field on Sunday afternoon, quarterback Drew Willy said he hadn't really seen the details yet. Neither had veteran linebacker Korey Banks, though he vowed to get back to media once he'd had some time to digest it. Offensive lineman Glen January, the Bombers' CFLPA rep, said he preferred to keep tight-lipped before the "fragile" deal had been ratified. "Until it's signed, I wouldn’t do anything that puts it in jeopardy," he said.

Even defensive back Alex Suber, who Tweeted some frustration with the situation on Saturday night – "That was a waste of time," he wrote, then added "back to Football; It never left" — was focused straight ahead. "I just want it to get over with, so we can play," he said. "I'm just happy to play, man. It's kind of been boring, that's (the CBA) the only thing you guys talk about."

The tentative deal meant there will be no strike on Monday, and the Bombers will host the Toronto Argonauts in the first exhibition game of the year, as planned. That was good enough for Willy, who will start the game on Monday. "Obviously, we knew this morning that we'd be playing," Willy said. "Everything goes as planned now, we just make sure we're mentally and physically ready to go."

The tentative agreement reportedly features a 2014 salary cap of $5 million, up from $4.4 million last year but far below the $6.24 million the CFLPA originally sought, and a ratification bonus ranging from $1,500 for rookies to $12,000 for the most veteran players. The CFLPA also reportedly won the removal of the option-year clause on non-rookie contracts, which was one of their top asks.

In other news, the Bombers released receiver Juaquin Iglesias on Sunday, less than 24 hours after they announced they'd signed the former Toronto Argonaut on Saturday evening.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective January 2015.

Scroll down to load more

Top