Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Cheap uppercut costs Bills' Woods $15K
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Bills rookie receiver Robert Woods has even more reason to regret losing his cool and getting ejected against the Miami Dolphins last weekend.
Woods told The Associated Press on Thursday he has been fined $15,000 by the NFL for punching Dolphins safety Reshad Jones.
"I wasn't surprised, I was just waiting for when," Woods said, referring to the official notice he received from the league upon arriving for practice.
The altercation occurred in the third quarter of Buffalo's 19-0 win Sunday. Woods and Jones became tangled up during a running play and eventually wrestled each other to the ground. Woods was unhappy with how Jones threw him into a pile of players following the whistle. Jones was on one knee and had his back turned when Woods caught him with an uppercut across the facemask.
Woods said earlier this week he regretted losing his cool, while adding he's learned his lesson.
On the injury front, coach Doug Marrone has yet to determine whether rookie quarterback EJ Manuel will be ready to start Sunday, when Buffalo (6-9) closes its season at New England (11-4). Manuel was limited in practice for a second consecutive day and looked "improved," Marrone said.
Buffalo has already been eliminated from playoff contention. The Bills do have a chance to win three straight for the first time since opening the 2011 season 3-0.
-- The Associated Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition December 27, 2013 C4
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 5 articles for this week)07/24/2014 1:00 AM 0
A look at this week's CFL games.
Photo Store Gallery
- Very rough night for Blue
- Blue feeling like bongo drums
- Moore than a feeling
- Bombers dissect Thursday's drubbing by Eskimos
- Whipping exposes abundant flaws
- Blue review gaffe-filled game
- O-line a disaster area
- Lacklustre Blue didn't help their bottom line
- List of injured Bombers grows
- Bombers, Esks: press reset and presto...
- Banks asks to be released from Bombers
- Bombers trade for QB Portis
- Feoli-Gudino gets it done
- Bombers linebacker Korey Banks suspended
- Bombers gut out a comeback
- Bomber ticket sales shoot up after win over Argos
- Amazing 3-0 start for Blue
- Bombers release Ford
- Won hard and put away wet
- Slick Willy puts on a great show
Ads by Google