Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Garcon eclipses Monk's reception record
LANDOVER, Md. -- In a season full of lows for the Washington Redskins, receiver Pierre Garcon broke Hall of Famer Art Monk's franchise record for most catches in a season by getting to 107 on Sunday with a game to go.
Garcon eclipsed Monk with his 11th and final reception of Sunday's 24-23 loss to the Dallas Cowboys, a 19-yard gain on a pass from Kirk Cousins that came with about six minutes left in the third quarter.
That gave Garcon one more catch than the 106 Monk had in 1984.
"It's pretty cool, but with the season going on, it's pretty hard to celebrate anything right now," said Garcon, whose Redskins have lost seven consecutive games to fall to 3-12.
Said Monk, who entered the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2008: "I'm excited for him... Records are meant to be broken. I didn't expect to have it as long as I had it. But I'm glad the pressure's off of me now. He has the opportunity to step forward and get all the praise."
The 27-year-old Garcon, a sixth-round draft pick by the Indianapolis Colts out of Division III Mount Union in 2008, had equaled Monk's team mark earlier in the second half on an eight-yard touchdown toss from Cousins, filling in for the benched Robert Griffin III.
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition December 23, 2013 C4
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 5 articles for this week)07/24/2014 1:00 AM 0
Calgary Stampeders (3-0)
at Edmonton Eskimos (4-0)
Tonight, 8 p.m. TV: TSN
Stampeders line: The Stamps announced Wednesday that they have placed running ...
Photo Store Gallery
- Very rough night for Blue
- Blue feeling like bongo drums
- Moore than a feeling
- Bombers dissect Thursday's drubbing by Eskimos
- Whipping exposes abundant flaws
- Blue review gaffe-filled game
- O-line a disaster area
- Lacklustre Blue didn't help their bottom line
- List of injured Bombers grows
- Bombers, Esks: press reset and presto...
- Banks asks to be released from Bombers
- Bombers trade for QB Portis
- Feoli-Gudino gets it done
- Bombers linebacker Korey Banks suspended
- Bombers gut out a comeback
- Bomber ticket sales shoot up after win over Argos
- Amazing 3-0 start for Blue
- Bombers release Ford
- Won hard and put away wet
- Slick Willy puts on a great show
Ads by Google