Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Hernandez looking for out route

Police scour Pat receiver's home again in homicide investigation

  • Print

NORTH ATTLEBOROUGH, Mass. -- Aaron Hernandez remained a free man Saturday, even as reports mounted that an arrest warrant has been prepared to charge him with interfering with the investigation into the shooting death of a man who was dating his girlfriend's sister.

Police spent nearly four hours at Hernandez's house Saturday, from 1:45 p.m. to about 5:30 p.m. Some officers carried paper bags of unidentified items out of the home of the New England Patriots star tight end and Bristol native. Two k-9 units also searched the house Saturday. Police searched the backyard and searched and photographed Hernandez's SUV. A locksmith also spent time in the house.

Hernandez's attorney, Michael Fee, arrived at the home at about 3:40 p.m. and remained in the house after police left. Two women emerged from the home during the afternoon.

ABC reported that Hernandez and the victim, Odin Lloyd, 27, a semi-pro football player, had been together at several nightclubs last weekend, including the night before Lloyd's body was found less than a mile from Hernandez's North Attleborough, Mass. home.

Multiple reports indicate Hernandez destroyed his cell phone and the security system at his home, which might have provided video showing the victim at his house. Investigators were also probing reports that Hernandez hired a crew to clean the home. A spokesman for the Attleborough District Court, which covers Hernandez's town, told ABC that a warrant has been drawn up charging Hernandez with obstruction of justice.

Legal experts have said that while the courts are closed on the weekend, it is possible the warrant can be signed by a judge and served either late Saturday or Sunday.

On Saturday morning, cars and vans from assorted media organizations that lined Hernandez's quiet street were the only indication that the former Bristol Central High and University of Florida star has been embroiled in a homicide investigation.

But that changed Saturday afternoon when police pulled up and entered the home.

Lloyd's body was found in a vacant lot off John L. Dietsch Boulevard, an industrial park area less than a mile from the Hernandez home.

Patrol cars from the North Attleborough police department and the Bristol County sheriff's office were blocking the scene Saturday. Officers could be seen driving through both the industrial park and Hernandez's neighborhood Saturday afternoon.

The blinds were drawn at the players' house and a newspaper lay untouched on the front lawn. Three cars sat in the driveway, including the white Audi that Hernandez was seen arriving in Friday afternoon.

Financial fallout from the investigation was also beginning to mount. CtyoSport, which makes the Muscle Milk line of supplements that Hernandez endorsed, fired the player Friday.

Just before 5 p.m. Friday, Hernandez arrived at his house in a white Audi SUV driven by his lawyer. One more man arrived in a separate car, and all three entered the house.

A half-hour later, Fee and the other man left without acknowledging reporters.

Around noon, the Reuters news service reported that an arrest warrant had been issued for Hernandez's arrest, citing an anonymous police officer.

Fox25 in Boston, citing a source, said an arrest warrant for obstruction of justice was issued early Friday. The station did not identify the source.

The source told Fox25 that the warrant is what is known as a "paper warrant" and has not yet been entered into the system. State police are not executing the warrant at this time, but if the warrant were entered into the system, any police officer could immediately arrest Hernandez, they reported.

Police have sought to question Hernandez but have not called Hernandez a suspect in the killing.

Lloyd, a semi-pro football player, reportedly left a club with two men, including Hernandez, late Sunday night or early Monday morning, but only two men returned to Hernandez's home.

Reports indicate a jogger found Lloyd's dead body at 5:30 p.m. Monday in an industrial park one mile from the Patriots player's home and that a vehicle rented in Hernandez's name was nearby. According to reports by, Lloyd died between 1 a.m. and 6 a.m. Monday.

Hernandez has been under scrutiny ever since and has not been ruled out as a suspect, law enforcement sources told ABC News.

On Thursday night, Boston's Fox 25 News reported that neighbors heard shots fired between 3 a.m. and 3:30 a.m. Monday and that there was video surveillance footage showing Hernandez and two other men wearing hooded sweatshirts entering Hernandez's home moments later. An hour before that, Hernandez was seen at Lloyd's home.

The television station also reported that a hard drive to Hernandez's home security system was heavily damaged and a cell phone destroyed.

In the meantime, Fee, a lawyer with Ropes and Gray in the Boston area, released a statement regarding Hernandez and the investigation: "Out of respect for that process, neither we nor Aaron will have any comment about the substance of that investigation until it has come to a conclusion."

Police visited his home on Tuesday and Wednesday, then returned with a warrant Thursday and reportedly had serious questions regarding why the home security system and cell phone they took from Hernandez were destroyed and why a team of house cleaners was hired Monday to clean the football player's mansion.

Fox 25, citing an anonymous source, reported Wednesday night that forensic evidence linked a vehicle driven by Hernandez to the crime scene.

-- The Hartford Courant

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition June 23, 2013 B13

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes


  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.


Make text: Larger | Smaller


Trouba talks about injury and potential for Jets

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Marc Gallant/Winnipeg Free Press. Gardening Column- Assiniboine Park English Garden. July 19, 2002.
  • Ruth Bonneville Winnipeg Free Press January 18, 2011 Local Standup -

View More Gallery Photos


Will Connor McDavid make the Edmonton Oilers a playoff team?

View Results

Ads by Google