Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Hernandez's girlfriend indicted on perjury charge
FALL RIVER, Mass. -- The girlfriend of former New England Patriot Aaron Hernandez has been indicted on a perjury charge in connection with the killing of his friend, a Massachusetts prosecutor said Friday, bringing to five the number of people facing charges in the case.
A grand jury indicted Shayanna Jenkins, 24, on a single count in relation to the investigation into the June 17 killing of Odin Lloyd, Bristol County District Attorney Samuel Sutter said.
It wasn't clear what led to the charge. Sutter's spokesman, Gregg Miliote, said he could not comment until her arraignment, which has not been set. A message left for Jenkins' lawyer was not immediately returned.
Lloyd, a 27-year-old semiprofessional football player from Boston, was found shot to death in an industrial park in North Attleborough, Mass., near Hernandez's home, where Jenkins also lives. Lloyd had been dating Jenkins' sister.
Jenkins will be ordered to appear in court for an arraignment, the prosecutor's office said. She and Hernandez have a young child together.
Hernandez has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder and weapons charges in Lloyd's death and is being held without bail. His attorneys have said the state won't be able to prove its case during a jury trial and that Hernandez will be exonerated.
Prosecutors say Hernandez killed Lloyd because he was upset with him for talking to some people at a nightclub with whom he had had problems.
-- The Associated Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition September 28, 2013 C9
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 5 articles for this week)07/24/2014 1:00 AM 0
A look at this week's CFL games.
Photo Store Gallery
- Very rough night for Blue
- Blue feeling like bongo drums
- Moore than a feeling
- Bombers dissect Thursday's drubbing by Eskimos
- Whipping exposes abundant flaws
- Blue review gaffe-filled game
- O-line a disaster area
- Lacklustre Blue didn't help their bottom line
- List of injured Bombers grows
- Bombers, Esks: press reset and presto...
- Banks asks to be released from Bombers
- Bombers trade for QB Portis
- Feoli-Gudino gets it done
- Bombers linebacker Korey Banks suspended
- Bombers gut out a comeback
- Bomber ticket sales shoot up after win over Argos
- Amazing 3-0 start for Blue
- Bombers release Ford
- Won hard and put away wet
- Slick Willy puts on a great show
Ads by Google