Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Detroit Lions sign Idonije to 1-year contract
Former Manitoba Bisons’ all-star defensive end Israel Idonije has signed a one-year deal with the NFL’s Detroit Lions.
Idonije, 32, spent the last nine seasons in Chicago, where he racked up 272 tackles and 28.5 sacks with the Bears. He started 42 of the 48 games he played for Chicago the last three seasons, but was a free agent following the 2012 campaign.
The Lions announced the deal on their website and official Twitter feed.
Idonije was born in Nigeria and immigrated with his family to Brandon when he was four years old.
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 6 articles for today)1:05 PM 0
NOBLESVILLE, Ind. - Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay's trial on two misdemeanour charges stemming from a March traffic stop has ...
Photo Store Gallery
- NFL coaches no longer leaving locker-rooms just to the players
- Lions leaning on solid O line, returning all 5 starters to give time to throw and room to run
- Pick Six: Peyton, RG3, Luck have new receiving threats
- Steelers RBs Bell, Blount to face charges on pot possession; Bell also to face DUI charge
- Rams allowing 3 Ferguson area high schools to practice at their facility
- Tempers flare, words exchanged but no punches thrown at Texans' joint practice with Broncos
- Former NFL linebacker Tim Shaw, 30 years old, announces that he has been diagnosed with ALS
- HOF quarterback Jim Kelly's follow-up exam shows no evidence of sinus cancer, doctor says
- After 'medical event' in car, Jets WR Jalen Saunders still waiting for results from tests
- Person familiar with deal: Bengals' Burfict gets 3 additional years, will make $20.05 million
- Just about every NFL player wants to know what Donny Moore thinks of them
- Redskins resume court battle over team name, appeal decision stripped trademark protection
- Manziel gesture among many lowlights for Browns in 24-23 loss to Redskins
- NFL 2014: Father Time a not-so-tough opponent for some of NFL's age-defying stars
- 'He needs to protect himself': New Redskins coach Gruden wants RG3 to be careful out there
- The last great running back? Perhaps Adrian Peterson, as NFL keeps trending toward pass
- Palmer comes on in 4th quarter, leads 2 TD drives as Bears rally past Jaguars 20-19
- Hometown Hero: Brian Hoyer holds off Johnny Manziel to win starting job with Browns
- 'We're in this until the name changes': Redskins debate gets nastier, shows no signs of fading
- Redskins players show solidarity with Ferguson protest with 'Hands up, don't shoot' gesture
- Peterson reveals via tweet that he's agreed to a 5-year, $70 million contract with Cardinals
- Peyton and Eli Manning modernize their rap image in latest DirecTV commercial
- Bills to Toronto concerns raised by documents outlining ownership group's plan to move team
- Donald Trump says he'll submit bid to buy Buffalo Bills but thinks he isn't likely to win
- Seattle Seahawks WR Sidney Rice surprisingly announces retirement before start of camp
- Raiders owner confirms talks with San Antonio after report team exploring move to Texas
- NFL's new sideline tablets receive mostly positive reviews after 1st preseason weekend
- Person close to situation: Bon Jovi group studied Toronto sites; to meet with NY developers
- Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen giving up control of team as he battles Alzheimer's disease
- As team looks for new chant leader, Fireman Ed still roots for J-E-T-S far away from spotlight
Ads by Google