Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Super Bowl MVP to speak in Winnipeg
Drew Brees, the 2009 Super Bowl MVP and winning quarterback for the New Orleans Saints, will be the keynote speaker on June 13 at the 41st annual "Y" Sports Dinner at the Winnipeg Convention Centre.
Considered to be one of the NFL's greatest passers, Brees will headline the dinner which is the annual major fundraising event for the Rady Jewish Community Centre.
"We are excited to have Drew Brees as our keynote speaker," Blair Worb, the "Y" Sports Dinner chairman, said in a press release. "Not only is he an exciting football player, but as much pride he takes in his on field performance, he takes even more pride in his community service and philanthropic efforts. That is why he is such a perfect fit as keynote speaker at the "Y" Sports Dinner this year."
A native of Austin, Tex., Brees spent five years with the San Diego Chargers and seven years with the New Orleans Saints. He was elected to seven Pro Bowls while being named the 2004 comeback player of the year, 2006 All-Pro Team, 2006 Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year, 2008 and 2010 NFL offensive player of the year, and Super Bowl XLIV Champion and MVP.
Throughout the years, the "Y" Sports Dinner has grown to become Winnipeg’s premier sports dinner event. They have brought the biggest names in sports to Winnipeg, featuring keynote speakers such as Mark Messier, Joe Montana, Scotty Bowman, Bobby Hull, Mickey Mantle, Peyton Manning and Cal Ripken, Jr.
Funds raised from the 2012 "Y" Sports Dinner enabled the Rady JCC to provide almost $200,000 in subsidies for families experiencing economic hard times, children and youth with special needs, seniors, and people living with serious illnesses so they could participate Rady JCC programs.
Call 204-477-7513 to purchase tickets.
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 50 articles for this week)3:38 AM 0
SAN FRANCISCO - Jonathan Martin has had Jim Harbaugh's support all along, from his early college days at Stanford to ...
Photo Store Gallery
Most Popular in NFL
- Indianapolis re-signs kicker Adam Vinatieri hours before free-agent market opens
- As free agency opens, Chiefs watch several former players sign big deals somewhere else
- Broncos agree to deals with DBs Aqib Talib, T.J. Ward
- Dolphins trade tackle Jonathan Martin to 49ers to be reunited with college coach Jim Harbaugh
- Capsules of NFC teams heading into NFL free agency
- Cowboys release franchise sacks leader DeMarcus Ware to save money under salary cap
- Bears terminate eight-time Pro Bowl DE Peppers' contract
- New Orleans shores up defensive backfield, signs safety Jairus Byrd to a six-year deal
- Falcons sign 3 linemen, re-sign DT Jonathan Babineaux to address needs at start of free agency
- Person familiar with deal: Titans agree to terms with McCluster, Leon Washington stays with TN
- Jets bring back tight end Jeff Cumberland, who led team in TD catches
- Judge says former NFL player can't be held indefinitely in rape case, gives time for charges
- Browns release troubled wide receiver Davone Bess after off season of bizarre behaviour
- Los Angeles judge says it's 'unfair' to hold former NFL player indefinitely
- As top 2011 draft picks move closer to next NFL contract, big paydays could be slow to come
- Person familiar with situation tells AP that Broncos are expected to release CB Champ Bailey
- Capsules of AFC teams heading into NFL free agency
- Agent: Star DE Jared Allen ready for free agency, not interested in 'situational' rush role
- San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh moves forward after Browns tried to trade for him
- Record-setting returner Hester says Bears 'parting ways' with him
- Openly gay NFL pioneer: 'I just wish you'd see me as Michael Sam the football player'
- Manziel, Sam expected to draw most attention at NFL's annual scouting combine in Indianapolis
- Lindenwood's Desir chasing real-world dream at NFL combine - a long-shot chance to make NFL
- Character questions go back on centre stage at NFL's scouting combine
- Agent: Andrew McDonald, Player A in bullying report, has 'no problem with the Miami Dolphins'
- Police: Ravens' Ray Rice arrested after argument with fiance at Atlantic City casino
- Tough Cut: Browns release veteran linebacker D'Qwell Jackson, owed $4.1 million roster bonus
- Pick 6: From Clowney's dash to Sam's struggle, standout performances from the NFL combine
- Spielman: Spotlight on Michael Sam wouldn't deter Vikings from drafting him
- New Orleans warrant issued for ex-Saints safety Darren Sharper, 2nd man; accused of rape
Ads by Google