Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Super Bowl fans won't be troubled by chicken-wing shortage
Breathe a sigh of relief, Canadian Super Bowl fans.
Or, more accurately, don’t get your feathers ruffled.
It appears that fears of a chicken-wing shortage in the U.S. – raised due to loss of production caused by high corn and feed prices south of the border – will not affect Canadians hunkering down to watch the Baltimore Ravens battle the San Francisco 49ers on Feb. 3.
"Are you calling about chicken wings? We’re fine," said Lisa Bishop-Spencer, a manager of communications for the Chicken Farmers of Canada.
Clearly, the Canadians had been keeping abreast of their chicken producing counterparts south of the border, where the National Chicken Council released a report this week saying the demand for wings will be "at an all-time high" this year, and the wholesale price of wings "will be the most expensive ever during Super Bowl XLVII".
"With the rising number of restaurants with menus dedicated to wings, the return of the NHL hockey season, the NCAA March Madness basketball tournament and then the start of grilling season, wing demand should remain hot," said Bill Roenigk, chief economist and market analyst at the Washington, D.C.-based National Chicken Council.
However, Lisa Bishop-Spencer said while Canada does import wings from the states, the supply in Canada, not exposed to the devastating drought conditions that hit the U.S. last summer, is status quo.
"There have been no reports of shortages at all," she said, from her Ottawa office. "You can enjoy your Super Bowl. You can enjoy your NHL."
Bishop-Spence did note that wings are hot this time of year. "We’re past the New Year’s hors d’oeuvre stage and it’s time for beer and wings."
The NCC report estimated that 1.23 billion wings would be consumed during Super Bowl week, 12.3 million fewer than last year. If those chicken wing segments were laid end to end, the report added, they would stretch between the 49ers Candlestick Park to the Ravens M&T Stadium 27 times.
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 50 articles for this week)3:38 AM 0
SAN FRANCISCO - Jonathan Martin has had Jim Harbaugh's support all along, from his early college days at Stanford to ...
Photo Store Gallery
Most Popular in NFL
- Indianapolis re-signs kicker Adam Vinatieri hours before free-agent market opens
- As free agency opens, Chiefs watch several former players sign big deals somewhere else
- Broncos agree to deals with DBs Aqib Talib, T.J. Ward
- Capsules of NFC teams heading into NFL free agency
- Dolphins trade tackle Jonathan Martin to 49ers to be reunited with college coach Jim Harbaugh
- Cowboys release franchise sacks leader DeMarcus Ware to save money under salary cap
- New Orleans shores up defensive backfield, signs safety Jairus Byrd to a six-year deal
- Falcons sign 3 linemen, re-sign DT Jonathan Babineaux to address needs at start of free agency
- Person familiar with deal: Titans agree to terms with McCluster, Leon Washington stays with TN
- Bears terminate eight-time Pro Bowl DE Peppers' contract
- Jets bring back tight end Jeff Cumberland, who led team in TD catches
- Judge says former NFL player can't be held indefinitely in rape case, gives time for charges
- Browns release troubled wide receiver Davone Bess after off season of bizarre behaviour
- Los Angeles judge says it's 'unfair' to hold former NFL player indefinitely
- As top 2011 draft picks move closer to next NFL contract, big paydays could be slow to come
- Person familiar with situation tells AP that Broncos are expected to release CB Champ Bailey
- Capsules of AFC teams heading into NFL free agency
- Agent: Star DE Jared Allen ready for free agency, not interested in 'situational' rush role
- San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh moves forward after Browns tried to trade for him
- Record-setting returner Hester says Bears 'parting ways' with him
- Openly gay NFL pioneer: 'I just wish you'd see me as Michael Sam the football player'
- Manziel, Sam expected to draw most attention at NFL's annual scouting combine in Indianapolis
- Lindenwood's Desir chasing real-world dream at NFL combine - a long-shot chance to make NFL
- Character questions go back on centre stage at NFL's scouting combine
- Agent: Andrew McDonald, Player A in bullying report, has 'no problem with the Miami Dolphins'
- Police: Ravens' Ray Rice arrested after argument with fiance at Atlantic City casino
- Tough Cut: Browns release veteran linebacker D'Qwell Jackson, owed $4.1 million roster bonus
- Pick 6: From Clowney's dash to Sam's struggle, standout performances from the NFL combine
- Spielman: Spotlight on Michael Sam wouldn't deter Vikings from drafting him
- New Orleans warrant issued for ex-Saints safety Darren Sharper, 2nd man; accused of rape
Ads by Google