Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Super Bowl fans won't be troubled by chicken-wing shortage
Breathe a sigh of relief, Canadian Super Bowl fans.
Or, more accurately, don’t get your feathers ruffled.
It appears that fears of a chicken-wing shortage in the U.S. – raised due to loss of production caused by high corn and feed prices south of the border – will not affect Canadians hunkering down to watch the Baltimore Ravens battle the San Francisco 49ers on Feb. 3.
"Are you calling about chicken wings? We’re fine," said Lisa Bishop-Spencer, a manager of communications for the Chicken Farmers of Canada.
Clearly, the Canadians had been keeping abreast of their chicken producing counterparts south of the border, where the National Chicken Council released a report this week saying the demand for wings will be "at an all-time high" this year, and the wholesale price of wings "will be the most expensive ever during Super Bowl XLVII".
"With the rising number of restaurants with menus dedicated to wings, the return of the NHL hockey season, the NCAA March Madness basketball tournament and then the start of grilling season, wing demand should remain hot," said Bill Roenigk, chief economist and market analyst at the Washington, D.C.-based National Chicken Council.
However, Lisa Bishop-Spencer said while Canada does import wings from the states, the supply in Canada, not exposed to the devastating drought conditions that hit the U.S. last summer, is status quo.
"There have been no reports of shortages at all," she said, from her Ottawa office. "You can enjoy your Super Bowl. You can enjoy your NHL."
Bishop-Spence did note that wings are hot this time of year. "We’re past the New Year’s hors d’oeuvre stage and it’s time for beer and wings."
The NCC report estimated that 1.23 billion wings would be consumed during Super Bowl week, 12.3 million fewer than last year. If those chicken wing segments were laid end to end, the report added, they would stretch between the 49ers Candlestick Park to the Ravens M&T Stadium 27 times.
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 12 articles for today)12:52 PM 0
FRANKLIN, Tenn. - Tennessee Titans running back Shonn Greene was arrested for allegedly parking in a handicapped space and speeding ...
Photo Store Gallery
- Lead union investigator says NFL, Baltimore Ravens not forthcoming in probe of Rice case
- Cowboys' much-improved defence getting job done without sacks, but how long can that last?
- After getting knocked out by Rams 2 years ago, Chiefs QB Alex Smith takes another shot at them
- Seattle's Byron Maxwell, Max Unger, Bryan Walters all out Sunday vs. Carolina
- Steelers' Blount replacing Archer on kickoff returns after poor results
- San Diego Chargers say S Jahleel Addae diagnosed with concussion
- "Ben Stiller, Dodgeball. Can't you see it?"
- Carolina Panthers will be without 7 injured players this week against Seattle Seahawks
- Only 1 zero remains in NFL standings, and Raiders seek to eliminate it
- Seahawks trying to find the right mix in getting pressure on opposing quarterbacks
- Cowboys release Michael Sam, latest setback as NFL's first openly gay player seeks roster spot
- In case you missed it in NFL's Week 7: Manning hardly the only 1 setting records; bold Fisher
- Vikings try to recover, still stinging from late defensive lapse in last-second loss
- Tony Gonzalez says he has no regrets about walking away from NFL career
- Doctors give Indiana's Spriggs 'clean bill of health,' release him from hospital
- No stopping Peyton Manning and Broncos' passing game in romp over 49ers
- Surviving years in NFL as backup QB requires mix of strong arm, football IQ, poise, right team
- Percy Harvin says he's not 'perfect,' while GM John Idzik says trade could be 'coup' for Jets
- Titans trade linebacker Akeem Ayers to Patriots, Whisenhunt calls move fresh start for Ayers
- NFL lauds MetLife Stadium's security system and programs as trendsetting
- Minneapolis police used stun gun to arrest Vikings DT Johnson after he wouldn't leave club
- Prosecutors want Adrian Peterson's bond revoked after accusing him of smoking marijuana
- Peyton Manning joins Brett Favre in elite club with his 500th touchdown pass
- Indictment formally charges Arizona Cardinals running back Jonathan Dwyer with assaulting wife
- Oakland Raiders make Tony Sparano interim coach after firing Dennis Allen
- Nick Foles throws 2 TD passes, Eagles beat Giants 27-0 for their first shutout in 18 years
- In case you missed it in NFL's Week 4: Payton's fake punt, other questionable coaching calls
- Big D: Lions dominate Bridgewater, Vikings 17-3 with 3 interceptions and 8 sacks
- 'We're in a good place': NFL is OK with flags flying far more frequently, especially on passes
- In case you missed it in NFL's Week 6: Dallas Cowboys aka America's Team at 5-1; Rodgers' fake
Ads by Google