The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
Big, bad Seattle Seahawks defence shuts down Peyton Manning and Broncos
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - Richard Sherman waited, and waited and the throws never floated his direction.
Led by its All-Pro cornerback, Seattle's "Legion of Boom" secondary and the nastiest defence in the NFL proved the strength of the Seahawks was greater than the record-setting arm of Peyton Manning in their stunning 43-8 rout on Sunday night.
Manning carefully tried to avoid throwing at Sherman, leaving the rest of his mates in the secondary to make the plays. Safety Kam Chancellor flattened Demaryius Thomas on Denver's third offensive play to set a tone. Chancellor later had an interception, cornerback Byron Maxwell forced a fumble and safety Earl Thomas cleaned up everything leftover — which wasn't much.
Sherman suffered an injury in the fourth quarter and returned to the sideline in time for the celebration in sweats and on crutches.
AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 50 articles for this week)03/11/2014 11:47 PM 0
MINNEAPOLIS - The Minnesota Vikings and veteran offensive lineman Joe Berger have agreed to a one-year contract.
Berger's agent, Tom Tafelski, ...
Photo Store Gallery
Most Popular in NFL
- Indianapolis re-signs kicker Adam Vinatieri hours before free-agent market opens
- As free agency opens, Chiefs watch several former players sign big deals somewhere else
- Broncos agree to deals with DBs Aqib Talib, T.J. Ward
- Capsules of NFC teams heading into NFL free agency
- Dolphins trade tackle Jonathan Martin to 49ers to be reunited with college coach Jim Harbaugh
- Cowboys release franchise sacks leader DeMarcus Ware to save money under salary cap
- Chad Rinehart agrees to 2-year deal to remain with San Diego Chargers
- New Orleans shores up defensive backfield, signs safety Jairus Byrd to a six-year deal
- Falcons sign 3 linemen, re-sign DT Jonathan Babineaux to address needs at start of free agency
- Person familiar with deal: Titans agree to terms with McCluster, Leon Washington stays with TN
- Jets bring back tight end Jeff Cumberland, who led team in TD catches
- Judge says former NFL player can't be held indefinitely in rape case, gives time for charges
- Browns release troubled wide receiver Davone Bess after off season of bizarre behaviour
- Los Angeles judge says it's 'unfair' to hold former NFL player indefinitely
- As top 2011 draft picks move closer to next NFL contract, big paydays could be slow to come
- Person familiar with situation tells AP that Broncos are expected to release CB Champ Bailey
- Capsules of AFC teams heading into NFL free agency
- Agent: Star DE Jared Allen ready for free agency, not interested in 'situational' rush role
- San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh moves forward after Browns tried to trade for him
- Record-setting returner Hester says Bears 'parting ways' with him
- Openly gay NFL pioneer: 'I just wish you'd see me as Michael Sam the football player'
- Manziel, Sam expected to draw most attention at NFL's annual scouting combine in Indianapolis
- Lindenwood's Desir chasing real-world dream at NFL combine - a long-shot chance to make NFL
- Character questions go back on centre stage at NFL's scouting combine
- Agent: Andrew McDonald, Player A in bullying report, has 'no problem with the Miami Dolphins'
- Police: Ravens' Ray Rice arrested after argument with fiance at Atlantic City casino
- Tough Cut: Browns release veteran linebacker D'Qwell Jackson, owed $4.1 million roster bonus
- Pick 6: From Clowney's dash to Sam's struggle, standout performances from the NFL combine
- Spielman: Spotlight on Michael Sam wouldn't deter Vikings from drafting him
- New Orleans warrant issued for ex-Saints safety Darren Sharper, 2nd man; accused of rape
Ads by Google