The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
Chargers wonder what kind of footing they will get at new 49ers stadium.
SAN DIEGO - The Chargers might be among the few longing for Candlestick Park.
San Diego plays the San Francisco 49ers in a preseason game at their new Levi's Stadium on Sunday. That's the plan anyway.
There's been concern regarding the Levi's Stadium's playing surface since Wednesday, after the 49ers cut short their practice on it. San Francisco replaced portions of the Levi's Stadium loose turf on Thursday and said in a statement the field won't be an issue for Sunday's game.
"They assured us the field will be fine and ready to go at the scheduled time," coach Mike McCoy said.
The Chargers will give it an inspection before the game.
"We take a look at every field when we go on the road," McCoy said. "The players bring a number of pairs of shoes every time we go on the road.
"So we are going to have our normal pregame routine, have everybody walking through the field to make sure they have their right cleats on. It's not different than any other game we are playing."
Kicker Nick Novak is confident the footing will be true.
"I'm sure it will be fine when we get there," he said. "We're just going to play ball. It doesn't matter what the field is like."
The Chargers are well-versed in preseason games being compromised. A Chargers-Oilers contest in 1995 was cancelled when the Astrodome turf was deemed unsafe before the game.
Bobby Ross, then the Chargers' coach, was adamant about not playing on the shoddy field, which featured protruding seams on the artificial turf.
In the 1980 Hall of Fame contest, the Chargers and Packers exited the field with five minutes remaining because of a severe storm. The game never resumed and ended in a scoreless tie.
John Pagano, the Chargers' defensive co-ordinator, isn't worry about Sunday's turf.
"When we get there we will make sure we run around," he said. "Any type of new surface that you are going to you want to bring enough cleats to be able to check the surface."
After the defence's showing in Saturday's 41-14 shellacking by the Seattle Seahawks, Pagano is fretting about other obstacles against San Francisco.
"I got to worry about stopping that offence," he said. "That is the most important thing."
AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org and www.twitter.com/AP_NFL
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 29 articles for today)6:38 PM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- NFL lauds MetLife Stadium's security system and programs as trendsetting
- The Detroit Lions have been loving life in England before game against Atlanta at Wembley
- NFL Personality of the Week: 49ers Harbaugh does things his way, unfazed by outside scrutiny
- Manning throws 3 TD passes to Sanders, Broncos beat Chargers 35-21
- "Ben Stiller, Dodgeball. Can't you see it?"
- In first season with new team, linebacker D'Qwell Jackson key to Colts improving defence
- Seattle's Byron Maxwell, Max Unger, Bryan Walters all out Sunday vs. Carolina
- Philip Rivers, Chargers fall even farther behind Broncos in AFC West with 35-21 loss
- Lead union investigator says NFL, Baltimore Ravens not forthcoming in probe of Rice case
- Former NFL, AFL player John 'Bull' Bramlett dead at 73; dubbed 'Meanest Man in Football'
- Cowboys release Michael Sam, latest setback as NFL's first openly gay player seeks roster spot
- In case you missed it in NFL's Week 7: Manning hardly the only 1 setting records; bold Fisher
- Is there hope for NFL's bottom feeders: Bucs, Raiders, Jags, Jets, Redskins?
- Vikings try to recover, still stinging from late defensive lapse in last-second loss
- Tony Gonzalez says he has no regrets about walking away from NFL career
- Doctors give Indiana's Spriggs 'clean bill of health,' release him from hospital
- Surviving years in NFL as backup QB requires mix of strong arm, football IQ, poise, right team
- No stopping Peyton Manning and Broncos' passing game in romp over 49ers
- Percy Harvin says he's not 'perfect,' while GM John Idzik says trade could be 'coup' for Jets
- Titans trade linebacker Akeem Ayers to Patriots, Whisenhunt calls move fresh start for Ayers
- Minneapolis police used stun gun to arrest Vikings DT Johnson after he wouldn't leave club
- Prosecutors want Adrian Peterson's bond revoked after accusing him of smoking marijuana
- Peyton Manning joins Brett Favre in elite club with his 500th touchdown pass
- Indictment formally charges Arizona Cardinals running back Jonathan Dwyer with assaulting wife
- Oakland Raiders make Tony Sparano interim coach after firing Dennis Allen
- Nick Foles throws 2 TD passes, Eagles beat Giants 27-0 for their first shutout in 18 years
- In case you missed it in NFL's Week 4: Payton's fake punt, other questionable coaching calls
- Big D: Lions dominate Bridgewater, Vikings 17-3 with 3 interceptions and 8 sacks
- 'We're in a good place': NFL is OK with flags flying far more frequently, especially on passes
- In case you missed it in NFL's Week 6: Dallas Cowboys aka America's Team at 5-1; Rodgers' fake
Ads by Google