The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
Cowboys 1st US team to top $3 billion in value, according to Forbes
NEW YORK, N.Y. - The Dallas Cowboys are the first U.S. sports franchise to top $3 billion in value.
For the eighth straight year, the Cowboys are worth the most of all 32 NFL franchises, according to Forbes. They're valued at $3.2 billion; only Real Madrid at $3.4 billion is worth more among global franchises.
Dallas posted the NFL's highest revenue, $560 million, and operating income, $246 million. That was far ahead of second-place New England, worth $2.6 billion and with $428 million in revenues, $147 million in operating income.
But the Patriots had the biggest increase since last year, up 44 per cent in value. Dallas was up 39 per cent.
The average NFL franchise value for 2014 is $1.43 billion, the highest in the 17 years the business magazine has tracked professional football. That shows a 23 per cent increase, the largest in one year since 1999.
Forbes determines team values using equity plus net debt figures, and accounts for each team's current stadium situation, with adjustments for pending new stadiums and renovations to existing ones.
Washington ($2.4 billion) is third in value, increasing 41 per cent since the last rankings, and the New York Giants ($2.1 billion) are fourth.
For the 2013 season, the average NFL team generated record revenue of $299 million and operating income of $53 million. Each franchise received a record $170 million of national revenue, mainly from league broadcasting and licensing fees.
At the bottom are Buffalo, worth $935 million and currently for sale after owner Ralph Wilson's death, and St. Louis at $930 million. But every team increased in worth, the lowest rise being Arizona at 4 per cent.
AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org and www.twitter.com/AP_NFL
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 18 articles for today)5:50 PM 0
NEW ORLEANS - The New Orleans Saints have cut tight end Tom Crabtree and brought up running back Edwin Baker ...
Photo Store Gallery
- After getting knocked out by Rams 2 years ago, Chiefs QB Alex Smith takes another shot at them
- Detroit's C.J. Mosley suspended by Lions, sent home from London for violation of team rules
- Titans running back Shonn Greene arrested after allegedly fleeing parking officer
- Only 1 zero remains in NFL standings, and Raiders seek to eliminate it
- GAME OF THE WEEK: 5-1 Eagles head west to face 5-1 Cardinals in NFC showdown
- DT Gerald McCoy signs huge 7-year extension with Buccaneers
- Cowboys' much-improved defence getting job done without sacks, but how long can that last?
- Lead union investigator says NFL, Baltimore Ravens not forthcoming in probe of Rice case
- Losses to Philadelphia and Dallas have Giants facing prospect of another fruitless season
- Steelers' Blount replacing Archer on kickoff returns after poor results
- Cowboys release Michael Sam, latest setback as NFL's first openly gay player seeks roster spot
- In case you missed it in NFL's Week 7: Manning hardly the only 1 setting records; bold Fisher
- Vikings try to recover, still stinging from late defensive lapse in last-second loss
- Tony Gonzalez says he has no regrets about walking away from NFL career
- No stopping Peyton Manning and Broncos' passing game in romp over 49ers
- Surviving years in NFL as backup QB requires mix of strong arm, football IQ, poise, right team
- NFL lauds MetLife Stadium's security system and programs as trendsetting
- Percy Harvin says he's not 'perfect,' while GM John Idzik says trade could be 'coup' for Jets
- Titans trade linebacker Akeem Ayers to Patriots, Whisenhunt calls move fresh start for Ayers
- Rams coach Jeff Fisher keeps finding ways to trick opponents
- Minneapolis police used stun gun to arrest Vikings DT Johnson after he wouldn't leave club
- Prosecutors want Adrian Peterson's bond revoked after accusing him of smoking marijuana
- Peyton Manning joins Brett Favre in elite club with his 500th touchdown pass
- Indictment formally charges Arizona Cardinals running back Jonathan Dwyer with assaulting wife
- Oakland Raiders make Tony Sparano interim coach after firing Dennis Allen
- Nick Foles throws 2 TD passes, Eagles beat Giants 27-0 for their first shutout in 18 years
- In case you missed it in NFL's Week 4: Payton's fake punt, other questionable coaching calls
- Big D: Lions dominate Bridgewater, Vikings 17-3 with 3 interceptions and 8 sacks
- 'We're in a good place': NFL is OK with flags flying far more frequently, especially on passes
- In case you missed it in NFL's Week 6: Dallas Cowboys aka America's Team at 5-1; Rodgers' fake
Ads by Google