The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
Dan Marino, Shannon Sharpe out, Tony Gonzalez in at CBS in pregame-show shakeup
NEW YORK, N.Y. - Goodbye, Dan Marino and Shannon Sharpe. Hello, Tony Gonzalez.
Marino and Sharpe will not return to their analyst roles on CBS' "The NFL Today" pregame show. Gonzalez, a recently retired star tight end, will now prep for a turn on the network's pro football coverage.
CBS sports chairman Sean McManus said the move to part ways with Marino and Sharpe "was really kind of a mutual decision" and "has nothing to do with any dissatisfaction in the ratings."
McManus said he has no single metric by which he measures the success of the pregame show.
"It's very subjective," McManus said. "Normally, if somebody's really doing a good job, there's a fairly overwhelming feeling that the person was a good hire, and the show is better than it was without him."
He is expecting to get that with Gonzalez.
"He's the closest thing to a sure bet that I've seen in a long time," McManus said. "You can't teach ... likeability. Tony is a very likable individual."
Gonzalez is going to go from the field to the studio in a hurry. The former All-Pro tight end who appears destined for a spot in the Hall of Fame in Canton said he was looking for a TV job with all of the major companies that broadcast NFL games.
He said he felt the most comfortable with CBS. The Tiffany network recently landed a deal to air NFL games on network TV on Thursday nights next season in addition to its longtime stable of AFC games.
"What really stood out about CBS was it was a comfortable fit from the beginning," Gonzalez said. "The opportunity to work with someone like James Brown — the guy's a legend."
Marino, the longtime Miami Dolphins quarterback, joined CBS in 2002. Sharpe was added for the 2004 season.
Gonzalez will join Brown, Bill Cowher and Boomer Esiason on "The NFL Today" on Sundays. He hasn't officially retired from the NFL, though this would seem to make returning to the field a remote prospect.
The work ethic that made him a star performer should serve him well in the TV world, too. He said he is already rehearsing to himself in the mirror — and it doesn't quite feel normal.
"I think the best thing that I can do is reps," Gonzalez said. "You don't go out there and start balling in Week 1."
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 27 articles for today)5:22 PM 0
SAN FRANCISCO - The San Francisco 49ers have released cornerback Carlos Rogers after three seasons, an expected cost-cutting move as ...
Photo Store Gallery
Most Popular in NFL
- Capsules of NFC teams heading into NFL free agency
- Indianapolis re-signs kicker Adam Vinatieri hours before free-agent market opens
- Chad Rinehart agrees to 2-year deal to remain with San Diego Chargers
- Cowboys release franchise sacks leader DeMarcus Ware to save money under salary cap
- Falcons sign 3 linemen, re-sign DT Jonathan Babineaux to address needs at start of free agency
- Bears release veteran running back Michael Bush.
- CB Sam Shields inks new deal, officially back with Packers
- New Orleans man involved in Sharper rape investigation posts $400,000 bond
- Safety Louis Delmas signs with Dolphins; cornerback Dimitri Patterson is released
- Giants G Chris Snee, P Steve Weatherford restructure contracts, C Baas to be waived injured
- Jets bring back tight end Jeff Cumberland, who led team in TD catches
- Judge says former NFL player can't be held indefinitely in rape case, gives time for charges
- Browns release troubled wide receiver Davone Bess after off season of bizarre behaviour
- Los Angeles judge says it's 'unfair' to hold former NFL player indefinitely
- As top 2011 draft picks move closer to next NFL contract, big paydays could be slow to come
- Person familiar with situation tells AP that Broncos are expected to release CB Champ Bailey
- Capsules of AFC teams heading into NFL free agency
- Suspended CB Brandon Browner reinstated by NFL following suspension in December
- Agent: Star DE Jared Allen ready for free agency, not interested in 'situational' rush role
- San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh moves forward after Browns tried to trade for him
- Openly gay NFL pioneer: 'I just wish you'd see me as Michael Sam the football player'
- Manziel, Sam expected to draw most attention at NFL's annual scouting combine in Indianapolis
- Lindenwood's Desir chasing real-world dream at NFL combine - a long-shot chance to make NFL
- Character questions go back on centre stage at NFL's scouting combine
- Agent: Andrew McDonald, Player A in bullying report, has 'no problem with the Miami Dolphins'
- Police: Ravens' Ray Rice arrested after argument with fiance at Atlantic City casino
- Tough Cut: Browns release veteran linebacker D'Qwell Jackson, owed $4.1 million roster bonus
- Pick 6: From Clowney's dash to Sam's struggle, standout performances from the NFL combine
- Spielman: Spotlight on Michael Sam wouldn't deter Vikings from drafting him
- New Orleans warrant issued for ex-Saints safety Darren Sharper, 2nd man; accused of rape
Ads by Google