The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
Jets cut 6, including WR Ford, CB Dowling, to get to 75-man roster limit
FLORHAM PARK, N.J. - The New York Jets released six players Sunday, including wide receiver Jacoby Ford and cornerback Ras-I Dowling.
The moves put the Jets' roster at 75 players, the maximum that teams must be at by Tuesday night.
Also cut were: tight end Colin Anderson, wide receiver Michael Campbell, defensive end Anthony Grady and fullback Chad Young.
Ford's release was a mild surprise since he was listed as the Jets' top kickoff returner. He was signed in April after having limited action last season in Oakland. Ford had three catches this preseason.
"Jacoby had been given a lot of opportunities," coach Rex Ryan said. "I still think he has a chance. ... There seemed to be some struggles."
Saalim Hakim and Clyde Gates are the top candidates to replace him as New York's kick returner.
"We just felt that we had better options on this football team for our current situation right now," Ryan said. "For his benefit, to have an early release like this may provide him an opportunity to maybe catch on with another team. We feel that the guys that we kept, we felt better about."
Dowling, signed last season to the practice squad, dealt with foot and groin injuries during training camp.
AP NFL websites: www.pro32.ap.org and www.twitter.com/AP_NFL
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 18 articles for today)4:25 PM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Chiefs linebackerJosh Mauga wants to show Jets what they missed by letting him go
- Brees, Ingram help Saints seize first place in NFC South with 28-10 road win over Panthers
- Emmitt Smith has a warning for NFL teams: Don't devalue running backs.
- With Vick starting at QB for Jets, offensive co-ordinator Mornhinweg in familiar spot
- Vick? Geno? Nope. Rex Ryan has another choice for Jets' quarterback: 'that Bumgarner guy'
- With Newton off target, offence sputters again for Panthers in 28-10 home loss to Saints
- Cardinals rookie kicker 'Cat Man' Catanzaro perfect so far in his career
- Backup Brandon Weeden waiting, ready to start as Cowboys monitor Tony Romo's balky back
- Jets backup QB Geno Smith limited by shoulder injury, availability uncertain
- Panthers running back DeAngelo Williams ready to play vs. Saints after missing last 4 games
- NFL-commissioned study says London franchise could generate $255 million annually for Britain
- McCoy has memorable, and maybe only, start as Redskins end Cowboys' 6-game streak 20-17 in OT
- No bad blood between Wes Welker & Bill Belichick heading into Broncos-Patriots showdown
- Man who disappeared during last week's Broncos-Chargers game in Denver found safe
- Detroit's C.J. Mosley suspended by Lions, sent home from London for violation of team rules
- Video shows Cowboy Randle booked into jail on shoplifting charge, offers $100 for massage
- Titans rookie Taylor Lewan makes plea deal to resolve assault case involving Ohio State fan
- Man found safe after vanishing from Denver Broncos game told police he had 'fill of football'
- After getting knocked out by Rams 2 years ago, Chiefs QB Alex Smith takes another shot at them
- Hernandez lawyers say prosecutors in murder case lifted passages from feds in Tsarnaev case
- Minneapolis police used stun gun to arrest Vikings DT Johnson after he wouldn't leave club
- Prosecutors want Adrian Peterson's bond revoked after accusing him of smoking marijuana
- Peyton Manning joins Brett Favre in elite club with his 500th touchdown pass
- Nick Foles throws 2 TD passes, Eagles beat Giants 27-0 for their first shutout in 18 years
- Big D: Lions dominate Bridgewater, Vikings 17-3 with 3 interceptions and 8 sacks
- 'We're in a good place': NFL is OK with flags flying far more frequently, especially on passes
- In case you missed it in NFL's Week 6: Dallas Cowboys aka America's Team at 5-1; Rodgers' fake
- Police: Dallas Cowboys RB Joseph Randle arrested, accused of shoplifting cologne, underwear
- Jets quarterback Geno Smith missed team meeting night before 31-0 loss to Chargers
- NFL owners' meetings focus on domestic violence and personal conduct policy
Ads by Google