NFL

The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Jets cut 6, including WR Ford, CB Dowling, to get to 75-man roster limit

  • Print

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. - The New York Jets released six players Sunday, including wide receiver Jacoby Ford and cornerback Ras-I Dowling.

The moves put the Jets' roster at 75 players, the maximum that teams must be at by Tuesday night.

Also cut were: tight end Colin Anderson, wide receiver Michael Campbell, defensive end Anthony Grady and fullback Chad Young.

Ford's release was a mild surprise since he was listed as the Jets' top kickoff returner. He was signed in April after having limited action last season in Oakland. Ford had three catches this preseason.

"Jacoby had been given a lot of opportunities," coach Rex Ryan said. "I still think he has a chance. ... There seemed to be some struggles."

Saalim Hakim and Clyde Gates are the top candidates to replace him as New York's kick returner.

"We just felt that we had better options on this football team for our current situation right now," Ryan said. "For his benefit, to have an early release like this may provide him an opportunity to maybe catch on with another team. We feel that the guys that we kept, we felt better about."

Dowling, signed last season to the practice squad, dealt with foot and groin injuries during training camp.

___

AP NFL websites: www.pro32.ap.org and www.twitter.com/AP_NFL

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

J.P. Vigier’s Whiteboard: Coach Maurice’s first full season

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Marc Gallant/Winnipeg Free Press. Gardening Column- Assiniboine Park English Garden. July 19, 2002.
  • KEN GIGLIOTTI  WINNIPEG FREE PRESS / July 23 2009 - 090723 - Bart Kives story - Harry Lazarenko Annual River Bank Tour - receding water from summer rains and erosion  damage by flood  and ice  during spring flooding -  Red River , Lyndale Dr. damage to tree roots , river bank damage  , high water marks after 2009 Flood - POY

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Which Jets prospect has the best chance of making NHL team this season?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google