The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
Redskins rookie cornerback Breeland to 'deal with the consequences' of marijuana citation
ASHBURN, Va. - Washington Redskins rookie cornerback Bashaud Breeland said Thursday he'll "deal with the consequences" of being cited for misdemeanour possession of marijuana on the night before the team broke training camp.
The fourth-round draft pick was cited Monday night on the campus of Virginia Commonwealth University, about a dozen blocks from the Redskins training camp facility in Richmond, Virginia. He practiced as usual Tuesday morning in the final session of camp and again Thursday when the team resumed workouts at its year-round headquarters.
In a brief statement to reporters, Breeland said he had spoken to team president Bruce Allen and coach Jay Gruden about the situation.
"The conversation that we had, we would like to keep it private," Breeland said. "I'll just take and deal with the consequences like everyone else who's ever dealt with a citation."
A hearing is scheduled for Aug. 26 in Richmond.
"Hopefully he learns from a terrible mistake," Gruden said. "He's a young kid, and he's had a great camp and a little hiccup, bump in the road, for him that he's got to learn from, that a lot of kids go through at his age."
Gruden says any team discipline will be handled in-house. Breeland could also be subject to a fine or suspension by the NFL.
Veteran cornerback DeAngelo Hall said Breeland informed his teammates about the incident before leaving Richmond.
"It's just an unfortunate situation," Hall said. "No matter how many times you tell a guy the right way to do things, at some point they feel like they know it all anyway, so they're going to try it their way until it doesn't work."
AP NFL websites: www.pro32.ap.org and www.twitter.com/AP_NFL
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 13 articles for today)3:28 PM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Chiefs linebackerJosh Mauga wants to show Jets what they missed by letting him go
- Brees, Ingram help Saints seize first place in NFC South with 28-10 road win over Panthers
- With Vick starting at QB for Jets, offensive co-ordinator Mornhinweg in familiar spot
- Emmitt Smith has a warning for NFL teams: Don't devalue running backs.
- Vick? Geno? Nope. Rex Ryan has another choice for Jets' quarterback: 'that Bumgarner guy'
- Cardinals rookie kicker 'Cat Man' Catanzaro perfect so far in his career
- Backup Brandon Weeden waiting, ready to start as Cowboys monitor Tony Romo's balky back
- Jets backup QB Geno Smith limited by shoulder injury, availability uncertain
- With Newton off target, offence sputters again for Panthers in 28-10 home loss to Saints
- Panthers running back DeAngelo Williams ready to play vs. Saints after missing last 4 games
- NFL-commissioned study says London franchise could generate $255 million annually for Britain
- McCoy has memorable, and maybe only, start as Redskins end Cowboys' 6-game streak 20-17 in OT
- No bad blood between Wes Welker & Bill Belichick heading into Broncos-Patriots showdown
- Man who disappeared during last week's Broncos-Chargers game in Denver found safe
- Detroit's C.J. Mosley suspended by Lions, sent home from London for violation of team rules
- Video shows Cowboy Randle booked into jail on shoplifting charge, offers $100 for massage
- Titans rookie Taylor Lewan makes plea deal to resolve assault case involving Ohio State fan
- Man found safe after vanishing from Denver Broncos game told police he had 'fill of football'
- After getting knocked out by Rams 2 years ago, Chiefs QB Alex Smith takes another shot at them
- Hernandez lawyers say prosecutors in murder case lifted passages from feds in Tsarnaev case
- Minneapolis police used stun gun to arrest Vikings DT Johnson after he wouldn't leave club
- Prosecutors want Adrian Peterson's bond revoked after accusing him of smoking marijuana
- Peyton Manning joins Brett Favre in elite club with his 500th touchdown pass
- Nick Foles throws 2 TD passes, Eagles beat Giants 27-0 for their first shutout in 18 years
- Big D: Lions dominate Bridgewater, Vikings 17-3 with 3 interceptions and 8 sacks
- 'We're in a good place': NFL is OK with flags flying far more frequently, especially on passes
- In case you missed it in NFL's Week 6: Dallas Cowboys aka America's Team at 5-1; Rodgers' fake
- Police: Dallas Cowboys RB Joseph Randle arrested, accused of shoplifting cologne, underwear
- Jets quarterback Geno Smith missed team meeting night before 31-0 loss to Chargers
- NFL owners' meetings focus on domestic violence and personal conduct policy
Ads by Google