The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
Redskins rookie cornerback Breeland to 'deal with the consequences' of marijuana citation
ASHBURN, Va. - Washington Redskins rookie cornerback Bashaud Breeland said Thursday he'll "deal with the consequences" of being cited for misdemeanour possession of marijuana on the night before the team broke training camp.
The fourth-round draft pick was cited Monday night on the campus of Virginia Commonwealth University, about a dozen blocks from the Redskins training camp facility in Richmond, Virginia. He practiced as usual Tuesday morning in the final session of camp and again Thursday when the team resumed workouts at its year-round headquarters.
In a brief statement to reporters, Breeland said he had spoken to team president Bruce Allen and coach Jay Gruden about the situation.
"The conversation that we had, we would like to keep it private," Breeland said. "I'll just take and deal with the consequences like everyone else who's ever dealt with a citation."
A hearing is scheduled for Aug. 26 in Richmond.
"Hopefully he learns from a terrible mistake," Gruden said. "He's a young kid, and he's had a great camp and a little hiccup, bump in the road, for him that he's got to learn from, that a lot of kids go through at his age."
Gruden says any team discipline will be handled in-house. Breeland could also be subject to a fine or suspension by the NFL.
Veteran cornerback DeAngelo Hall said Breeland informed his teammates about the incident before leaving Richmond.
"It's just an unfortunate situation," Hall said. "No matter how many times you tell a guy the right way to do things, at some point they feel like they know it all anyway, so they're going to try it their way until it doesn't work."
AP NFL websites: www.pro32.ap.org and www.twitter.com/AP_NFL
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 18 articles for today)5:50 PM 0
NEW ORLEANS - The New Orleans Saints have cut tight end Tom Crabtree and brought up running back Edwin Baker ...
Photo Store Gallery
- After getting knocked out by Rams 2 years ago, Chiefs QB Alex Smith takes another shot at them
- Detroit's C.J. Mosley suspended by Lions, sent home from London for violation of team rules
- Titans running back Shonn Greene arrested after allegedly fleeing parking officer
- Only 1 zero remains in NFL standings, and Raiders seek to eliminate it
- DT Gerald McCoy signs huge 7-year extension with Buccaneers
- GAME OF THE WEEK: 5-1 Eagles head west to face 5-1 Cardinals in NFC showdown
- Cowboys' much-improved defence getting job done without sacks, but how long can that last?
- Lead union investigator says NFL, Baltimore Ravens not forthcoming in probe of Rice case
- Losses to Philadelphia and Dallas have Giants facing prospect of another fruitless season
- Steelers' Blount replacing Archer on kickoff returns after poor results
- Cowboys release Michael Sam, latest setback as NFL's first openly gay player seeks roster spot
- In case you missed it in NFL's Week 7: Manning hardly the only 1 setting records; bold Fisher
- Vikings try to recover, still stinging from late defensive lapse in last-second loss
- Tony Gonzalez says he has no regrets about walking away from NFL career
- No stopping Peyton Manning and Broncos' passing game in romp over 49ers
- Surviving years in NFL as backup QB requires mix of strong arm, football IQ, poise, right team
- NFL lauds MetLife Stadium's security system and programs as trendsetting
- Percy Harvin says he's not 'perfect,' while GM John Idzik says trade could be 'coup' for Jets
- Titans trade linebacker Akeem Ayers to Patriots, Whisenhunt calls move fresh start for Ayers
- Rams coach Jeff Fisher keeps finding ways to trick opponents
- Minneapolis police used stun gun to arrest Vikings DT Johnson after he wouldn't leave club
- Prosecutors want Adrian Peterson's bond revoked after accusing him of smoking marijuana
- Peyton Manning joins Brett Favre in elite club with his 500th touchdown pass
- Indictment formally charges Arizona Cardinals running back Jonathan Dwyer with assaulting wife
- Oakland Raiders make Tony Sparano interim coach after firing Dennis Allen
- Nick Foles throws 2 TD passes, Eagles beat Giants 27-0 for their first shutout in 18 years
- In case you missed it in NFL's Week 4: Payton's fake punt, other questionable coaching calls
- Big D: Lions dominate Bridgewater, Vikings 17-3 with 3 interceptions and 8 sacks
- 'We're in a good place': NFL is OK with flags flying far more frequently, especially on passes
- In case you missed it in NFL's Week 6: Dallas Cowboys aka America's Team at 5-1; Rodgers' fake
Ads by Google