The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
Texans announce firing of 16 assistant coaches, retain only defensive line coach Kollar
HOUSTON - The Houston Texans have fired 16 assistant coaches, including defensive co-ordinator Wade Phillips and offensive co-ordinator Rick Dennison, following the recent hiring of coach Bill O'Brien.
The firings have taken place over the last few days and Phillips acknowledged his release on Twitter on Saturday. Defensive line coach Bill Kollar was the only assistant to keep his job.
Other fired coaches include: Perry Carter (assistant defensive backs), Karl Dorrell (quarterbacks), Dan Hammerschmidt (offensive assistant), Chick Harris (running backs), Reggie Herring (linebackers), Vance Joseph (defensive backs), Bobby King (assistant linebackers), Larry Kirksey (wide receivers), Marc Lubick (assistant wide receivers), Brian Pariani (tight ends), Jim Ryan (assistant offensive line), Matt Schiotz (assistant strength and conditioning), Cedric Smith (strength and conditioning) and Jeff Zgonina (assistant defensive line).
Harris was the last remaining coach who had been with the team since its inception in 2002.
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 50 articles for this week)3:38 AM 0
SAN FRANCISCO - Jonathan Martin has had Jim Harbaugh's support all along, from his early college days at Stanford to ...
Photo Store Gallery
Most Popular in NFL
- Dolphins trade tackle Jonathan Martin to 49ers to be reunited with college coach Jim Harbaugh
- As free agency opens, Chiefs watch several former players sign big deals somewhere else
- Broncos agree to deals with DBs Aqib Talib, T.J. Ward
- Indianapolis re-signs kicker Adam Vinatieri hours before free-agent market opens
- Cowboys release franchise sacks leader DeMarcus Ware to save money under salary cap
- Bears terminate eight-time Pro Bowl DE Peppers' contract
- Person familiar with deal: Titans agree to terms with McCluster, Leon Washington stays with TN
- New Orleans shores up defensive backfield, signs safety Jairus Byrd to a six-year deal
- Vikings bring back veteran backup offensive lineman Joe Berger for another year
- Falcons sign 3 linemen, re-sign DT Jonathan Babineaux to address needs at start of free agency
- Jets bring back tight end Jeff Cumberland, who led team in TD catches
- Judge says former NFL player can't be held indefinitely in rape case, gives time for charges
- Los Angeles judge says it's 'unfair' to hold former NFL player indefinitely
- As top 2011 draft picks move closer to next NFL contract, big paydays could be slow to come
- Person familiar with situation tells AP that Broncos are expected to release CB Champ Bailey
- Capsules of AFC teams heading into NFL free agency
- Agent: Star DE Jared Allen ready for free agency, not interested in 'situational' rush role
- San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh moves forward after Browns tried to trade for him
- Record-setting returner Hester says Bears 'parting ways' with him
- New Vikings coach Zimmer wants QB Matt Cassel back 'if he wants to be back'
- Openly gay NFL pioneer: 'I just wish you'd see me as Michael Sam the football player'
- Manziel, Sam expected to draw most attention at NFL's annual scouting combine in Indianapolis
- Lindenwood's Desir chasing real-world dream at NFL combine - a long-shot chance to make NFL
- Character questions go back on centre stage at NFL's scouting combine
- Agent: Andrew McDonald, Player A in bullying report, has 'no problem with the Miami Dolphins'
- Police: Ravens' Ray Rice arrested after argument with fiance at Atlantic City casino
- Tough Cut: Browns release veteran linebacker D'Qwell Jackson, owed $4.1 million roster bonus
- Pick 6: From Clowney's dash to Sam's struggle, standout performances from the NFL combine
- Spielman: Spotlight on Michael Sam wouldn't deter Vikings from drafting him
- New Orleans warrant issued for ex-Saints safety Darren Sharper, 2nd man; accused of rape
Ads by Google