The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
Tom Brady misses Patriots practice while dealing with illness, backup QB Ryan Mallett fills in
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - The New England Patriots are taking Tom Brady's absence from practice in stride.
Four days before the AFC championship game against the Denver Broncos, the star quarterback missed practice Wednesday because of illness and his right shoulder, the Patriots said in their practice report.
Brady said last week that he had a cold. Then he led the Patriots to a 43-22 win over the Indianapolis Colts in an AFC playoff game on a rainy Saturday night. Earlier in the season, he was listed on the injury report with the shoulder condition but usually practiced with it.
Backup Ryan Mallett did double duty Wednesday. He was the quarterback for the offence and also emulated Denver quarterback Peyton Manning for the defence.
"I'm not worried about Tom because I know Tom," Mallett said.
Wide receiver Julian Edelman, who caught 105 passes from Brady this season, said practice is different without him.
"But Ryan came in and he ran the offence," Edelman said. "And, more importantly, I was just kind of worrying about what I had to do to get my assignments and get my work in. I'm sure other guys were thinking the same thing."
Brady's scheduled media availability was cancelled. He's scheduled for another one Friday.
As for Mallett, "it was fun," he said. "I took a lot more reps, though. I was a little more fatigued at the end than normal so that was the only difference."
Coach Bill Belichick provided no details on Brady's absence.
Asked the last time that Brady surprised his coach of 14 years, Belichick said, with a smile, "this morning."
What was the surprise?
"We'll keep that between Tom and I," he said.
Long snapper Danny Aiken also missed practice with an illness. Punter Ryan Allen, who hurt his shoulder against the Colts, practiced on a limited basis.
AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 50 articles for this week)3:38 AM 0
SAN FRANCISCO - Jonathan Martin has had Jim Harbaugh's support all along, from his early college days at Stanford to ...
Photo Store Gallery
Most Popular in NFL
- Dolphins trade tackle Jonathan Martin to 49ers to be reunited with college coach Jim Harbaugh
- As free agency opens, Chiefs watch several former players sign big deals somewhere else
- Broncos agree to deals with DBs Aqib Talib, T.J. Ward
- Indianapolis re-signs kicker Adam Vinatieri hours before free-agent market opens
- Cowboys release franchise sacks leader DeMarcus Ware to save money under salary cap
- Bears terminate eight-time Pro Bowl DE Peppers' contract
- Person familiar with deal: Titans agree to terms with McCluster, Leon Washington stays with TN
- New Orleans shores up defensive backfield, signs safety Jairus Byrd to a six-year deal
- Vikings bring back veteran backup offensive lineman Joe Berger for another year
- Falcons sign 3 linemen, re-sign DT Jonathan Babineaux to address needs at start of free agency
- Jets bring back tight end Jeff Cumberland, who led team in TD catches
- Judge says former NFL player can't be held indefinitely in rape case, gives time for charges
- Los Angeles judge says it's 'unfair' to hold former NFL player indefinitely
- As top 2011 draft picks move closer to next NFL contract, big paydays could be slow to come
- Person familiar with situation tells AP that Broncos are expected to release CB Champ Bailey
- Capsules of AFC teams heading into NFL free agency
- Agent: Star DE Jared Allen ready for free agency, not interested in 'situational' rush role
- San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh moves forward after Browns tried to trade for him
- Record-setting returner Hester says Bears 'parting ways' with him
- New Vikings coach Zimmer wants QB Matt Cassel back 'if he wants to be back'
- Openly gay NFL pioneer: 'I just wish you'd see me as Michael Sam the football player'
- Manziel, Sam expected to draw most attention at NFL's annual scouting combine in Indianapolis
- Lindenwood's Desir chasing real-world dream at NFL combine - a long-shot chance to make NFL
- Character questions go back on centre stage at NFL's scouting combine
- Agent: Andrew McDonald, Player A in bullying report, has 'no problem with the Miami Dolphins'
- Police: Ravens' Ray Rice arrested after argument with fiance at Atlantic City casino
- Tough Cut: Browns release veteran linebacker D'Qwell Jackson, owed $4.1 million roster bonus
- Pick 6: From Clowney's dash to Sam's struggle, standout performances from the NFL combine
- Spielman: Spotlight on Michael Sam wouldn't deter Vikings from drafting him
- New Orleans warrant issued for ex-Saints safety Darren Sharper, 2nd man; accused of rape
Ads by Google