The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
With safety depth an issue, Vikings sign veteran Chris Crocker
MANKATO, Minn. - Whenever Mike Zimmer has felt uneasy about the safety situation on his defence, he's called Chris Crocker to come in and stabilize things.
So it's no surprise with the safety position opposite standout Harrison Smith up for grabs, Zimmer is bringing back old reliable one more time.
Crocker signed a one-year deal with the Minnesota Vikings on Monday, giving Zimmer some much-needed insurance on the unproven back end of his defence.
Each of the previous two seasons, as defensive co-ordinator in Cincinnati, Zimmer talked Crocker out of retiring to play for the Bengals. Zimmer also brought Crocker with him when he moved from defensive co-ordinator of the Atlanta Falcons to the Bengals in 2008.
Now that Zimmer is in his first season as a head coach with the Vikings, Crocker is again coming back to help him out.
"I never retired," said Crocker, who had 37 tackles and two interceptions in 12 games last year. "You always are kind of ready. Especially when you know you got a guy like Zimmer that you can play for. You know we have rapport and we talk often and in this part in my career I wouldn't want to go (with) anyone else. I'm not starting over, I wanted to play for a guy who has meant a lot for my career and I've given him everything that I have. Just empty the gas tank and see where it goes."
The position opposite Smith has been in flux since Zimmer took over. Robert Blanton appeared to be in line to be the starter but injured his hamstring during training camp and will likely miss several weeks. Jamarca Sanford missed much of the spring with injury and has yet to impress in training camp. Mistral Raymond has been equally unimpressive to this point and Andrew Sendejo was just activated from the physically unable to perform list on Monday.
"I've given everything I have to him," the 34-year-old Crocker said of Zimmer. "I think I've been accountable. That's the biggest thing that I've not only been accountable, but I've been a playmaker for him and that's all he can ask for in a player.
"From a coaching standpoint he's just so honest and you can really appreciate that the guy is going to tell you whether you're good or whether you're bad, but at the end of the day you're going to know where you stand. I've always played at the highest level playing for a guy like that."
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 29 articles for today)6:38 PM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- NFL lauds MetLife Stadium's security system and programs as trendsetting
- The Detroit Lions have been loving life in England before game against Atlanta at Wembley
- NFL Personality of the Week: 49ers Harbaugh does things his way, unfazed by outside scrutiny
- "Ben Stiller, Dodgeball. Can't you see it?"
- Seattle's Byron Maxwell, Max Unger, Bryan Walters all out Sunday vs. Carolina
- Lead union investigator says NFL, Baltimore Ravens not forthcoming in probe of Rice case
- Manning throws 3 TD passes to Sanders, Broncos beat Chargers 35-21
- In first season with new team, linebacker D'Qwell Jackson key to Colts improving defence
- Philip Rivers, Chargers fall even farther behind Broncos in AFC West with 35-21 loss
- Hatcher has new view of Cowboys-Redskins hate, but still has love for ex-Dallas teammates
- Cowboys release Michael Sam, latest setback as NFL's first openly gay player seeks roster spot
- In case you missed it in NFL's Week 7: Manning hardly the only 1 setting records; bold Fisher
- Is there hope for NFL's bottom feeders: Bucs, Raiders, Jags, Jets, Redskins?
- Vikings try to recover, still stinging from late defensive lapse in last-second loss
- Tony Gonzalez says he has no regrets about walking away from NFL career
- Doctors give Indiana's Spriggs 'clean bill of health,' release him from hospital
- No stopping Peyton Manning and Broncos' passing game in romp over 49ers
- Surviving years in NFL as backup QB requires mix of strong arm, football IQ, poise, right team
- Percy Harvin says he's not 'perfect,' while GM John Idzik says trade could be 'coup' for Jets
- Titans trade linebacker Akeem Ayers to Patriots, Whisenhunt calls move fresh start for Ayers
- Minneapolis police used stun gun to arrest Vikings DT Johnson after he wouldn't leave club
- Prosecutors want Adrian Peterson's bond revoked after accusing him of smoking marijuana
- Peyton Manning joins Brett Favre in elite club with his 500th touchdown pass
- Indictment formally charges Arizona Cardinals running back Jonathan Dwyer with assaulting wife
- Oakland Raiders make Tony Sparano interim coach after firing Dennis Allen
- Nick Foles throws 2 TD passes, Eagles beat Giants 27-0 for their first shutout in 18 years
- In case you missed it in NFL's Week 4: Payton's fake punt, other questionable coaching calls
- Big D: Lions dominate Bridgewater, Vikings 17-3 with 3 interceptions and 8 sacks
- 'We're in a good place': NFL is OK with flags flying far more frequently, especially on passes
- In case you missed it in NFL's Week 6: Dallas Cowboys aka America's Team at 5-1; Rodgers' fake
Ads by Google