Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Pack lock up sackmaster Matthews
GREEN BAY, Wis. -- One big deal done for the Green Bay Packers, one to go.
The Packers locked up star linebacker Clay Matthews with a long-term extension Wednesday, and also is negotiating with quarterback Aaron Rodgers.
The Packers did not announce terms of the extension, reported to be for five years, but the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel said the deal is worth $66 million. That would put Matthews on par with Dallas outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware, whose contract also averages $13 million per year.
With Matthews' deal done, the Packers can turn all of their attention to Rodgers, whose extension is expected to make him the highest-paid player in the league.
Matthews had 42 1/2 sacks in his first four seasons, fifth-best in the NFL during that span. He has finished in the top five in the league in sacks in two of the last three seasons, with 13 1/2 in 2010 and 13 in 2012.
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition April 18, 2013 D7
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 5 articles for this week)07/24/2014 1:00 AM 0
Calgary Stampeders (3-0)
at Edmonton Eskimos (4-0)
Tonight, 8 p.m. TV: TSN
Stampeders line: The Stamps announced Wednesday that they have placed running ...
Photo Store Gallery
- Very rough night for Blue
- Blue feeling like bongo drums
- Moore than a feeling
- Bombers dissect Thursday's drubbing by Eskimos
- Whipping exposes abundant flaws
- Blue review gaffe-filled game
- O-line a disaster area
- Lacklustre Blue didn't help their bottom line
- Bombers, Esks: press reset and presto...
- List of injured Bombers grows
- Banks asks to be released from Bombers
- Bombers trade for QB Portis
- Feoli-Gudino gets it done
- Bombers linebacker Korey Banks suspended
- Bombers gut out a comeback
- Bomber ticket sales shoot up after win over Argos
- Amazing 3-0 start for Blue
- Bombers release Ford
- Won hard and put away wet
- Slick Willy puts on a great show
Ads by Google