Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Prosecutors build case against Hernandez
Judge grants more time to convince grand jury
ATTLEBORO, Mass. -- A judge on Wednesday gave prosecutors more time to present evidence to a grand jury in their murder case against former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez.
Hernandez was in court for what was supposed to be a probable cause hearing, but prosecutors said the grand jury is still considering the evidence against him.
Judge Daniel O'Shea considered defence objections to a delay but decided to reschedule the hearing for Aug. 22. Hernandez will continue to be held without bail until then.
Hernandez has pleaded not guilty to murder in the death of Odin Lloyd, a 27-year-old Boston semi-professional football player whose body was found June 17 in an industrial park near Hernandez's home. He had been shot five times.
Bristol County Assistant District Attorney William McCauley said additional evidence includes boxes of ammunition found at a condominium Hernandez leased and a magazine for a .45-calibre Glock in a Hummer registered to him. Authorities say Lloyd was killed with a .45-calibre gun, though it apparently has not been recovered. McCauley said the ammunition box had Hernandez's fingerprints on it.
Hernandez attorney James Sultan objected to the delay, saying his client has already been jailed for four weeks and that the district attorney could have waited to bring charges, but chose to go ahead last month.
"He made it sound like a slam-dunk case," Sultan said.
Outside court, another of Hernandez's attorneys, Charles Rankin, said he was "extremely disappointed" that prosecutors weren't prepared to go forward and that he's confident Hernandez will be exonerated.
Hernandez's girlfriend, Shayanna Jenkins, was in court for the hearing -- Hernandez mouthed "I love you" in her direction before he was led out -- but she did not respond to reporters' questions as she left the courthouse.
Members of Lloyd's family also attended the hearing but did not comment.
Also Wednesday, O'Shea ruled in favour of media organizations, including The Associated Press, that were seeking access to more documents in the case, including two arrest warrants, additional search warrants and other materials. The records will be released at 3 p.m. Thursday if no one appeals.
Sultan objected to the documents' unsealing, saying he understood the media's "insatiable appetite" but that the release of records is undermining Hernandez's right to a fair trial.
Prosecutors say Hernandez orchestrated Lloyd's killing because he was upset at him for talking to people Hernandez had problems with at a nightclub a few days earlier.
They say Hernandez and two associates, Ernest Wallace and Carlos Ortiz, drove with Lloyd to the North Attleborough industrial park. Authorities have not said who fired the shots, but documents filed in Florida -- and released since Hernandez's last court appearance -- paint the former Patriot as the triggerman. According to the records, Ortiz told police that Wallace said Hernandez fired the shots.
Wallace and Ortiz also are facing charges. Wallace pleaded not guilty to a charge of being an accessory to murder after the fact. Ortiz has pleaded not guilty to a gun charge.
Warrants released Tuesday in Hernandez's hometown of Bristol, Conn., show police found ammunition, a gun box and documents tied to Ortiz and Wallace at Hernandez's uncle's home.
The warrants were used to search that home, where Ortiz said he lived; an apartment also linked to Ortiz; and a rental car police say was used by Wallace and Ortiz to return to Connecticut after the shooting.
Bristol police also have been investigating a possible link to a 2012 double fatal shooting in Boston, and earlier said they had seized an SUV wanted in that investigation from the uncle's home. Court records say it had been rented in Hernandez's name.
-- The Associated Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition July 25, 2013 D2
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 9 articles for this week)3:00 AM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Five storylines
- Elimimian named CFL's outstanding player, top defensive performer
- CFL picks
- Hickman, Ticat D-line hold key to cup
- McCoy, Eagles dominate Cowboys 33-10, might have to beat them again to get back to playoffs
- Stampeders sophomore centre Jones named CFL's top lineman award winner
- Ray Rice wins appeal; NFL suspension vacated immediately because of 'arbitrary' decision
- Ravens wide receiver Steve Smith says Panthers 'stabbed him in the back' when releasing him
- Stampeders' Grey Cup fans horse around with 24-year-old mare in Vancouver
- Texans QB Ryan Fitzpatrick gets a trim - and his job back
- Every scream is for his team
- Bisons face great unknown
- Jim Lawson not interested in CFL commissioner's seat
- Blue lock up veteran defender
- Brandon Banks returns two punts for TDs to lead Ticats back to Grey Cup
- Hamilton Tiger-Cats and Calgary Stampeders set to meet at Grey Cup in Vancouver
- Stamps won't even have to work up a sweat
- Bisons go down battling
- Blue need some free-agent scores
- Lions extend three Canadians, including defensive tackle Westerman
- Blue Bombers start ticket renewals, embrace beer snake for 2015
- Win in finale cold comfort for Bombers
- Blue need a ton of repairs
- Will next CFL commissioner be a Winnipegger?
- O'Shea knows Bombers job under review
- Blue need some free-agent scores
- Receiver position will complete your Bomber choices
- Attention O'Shea: Fire Etcheverry
- Blue not wise to put all their eggs in Willy's basket
- O'Shea thinks Drew Willy should be MOP
Ads by Google