Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Sheets, Dressler free agents soon
REGINA -- Just days after winning the Grey Cup, the Saskatchewan Roughriders have cleaned out their lockers knowing some players from their successful core may not be back.
Star running back Kory Sheets and slotback Weston Dressler -- one of quarterback Darian Durant's favourite targets -- will both become free agents in the off-season.
Other players could be lost when Ottawa starts stockpiling its roster with picks from the CFL expansion draft. The existing eight teams will protect a certain number of players, with the Redblacks allowed to pick from those left unprotected.
Durant would like to see some key players stay in Saskatchewan, such as Dressler, his neighbour in the locker-room.
"I want the whole nucleus to be together. We've been together since '08," Durant said Tuesday.
"We put in the time, put in the years so I definitely want him back. I know he'll probably explore some opportunities that may be out there for him down south and if it doesn't work out then I think he'll be back. This is the place for him. That chemistry we have... you saw it throughout the playoffs, and hopefully we'll get something done."
Dressler, who went to the University of North Dakota, joined the Riders in 2008. He has spent his entire career in Saskatchewan. He had a league high 13 receiving touchdowns in 2012.
The receiver says he's just enjoying the experience of winning the Grey Cup right now, but he also says he would take a look at heading south for the NFL.
"If the right opportunity presented itself, I would definitely take a look at it and have to consider all my options at that point..." said Dressler.
Sheets captured MVP honours after rushing for a record 197 yards and two touchdowns in the Grey Cup win on Sunday.
-- The Canadian Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition November 27, 2013 C6
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 5 articles for this week)07/24/2014 1:00 AM 0
A look at this week's CFL games.
Photo Store Gallery
- Bombers don't seem in much of a rush
- No Moore Mr. Nice Guy
- Blue Bombers name press box in honour of two prominent sports journalists
- Blue Bombers prepare lineup for Friday match against BC Lions
- At the door to a dream
- CFL this Week -- Week 5
- When it comes to Bombers' defence... Moe knows
- Mike Reilly using legs to run Eskimos to 4-0 record, clash with 3-0 Stampeders
- Moore than a feeling
- Vega joins list of Blue and Gold's walking wounded
- Very rough night for Blue
- Blue feeling like bongo drums
- Moore than a feeling
- Bombers dissect Thursday's drubbing by Eskimos
- Whipping exposes abundant flaws
- Blue review gaffe-filled game
- O-line a disaster area
- Lacklustre Blue didn't help their bottom line
- List of injured Bombers grows
- Taking one step at a time
- Banks asks to be released from Bombers
- Bombers trade for QB Portis
- Feoli-Gudino gets it done
- Bombers linebacker Korey Banks suspended
- Bombers gut out a comeback
- Bomber ticket sales shoot up after win over Argos
- Amazing 3-0 start for Blue
- Bombers release Ford
- Won hard and put away wet
- Slick Willy puts on a great show
Ads by Google