Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 30/9/2013 (1270 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
SURREY, B.C. -- The B.C. Lions will be without starting quarterback Travis Lulay for at least another two weeks.
The CFL club announced Monday he will be sidelined with an injury to his throwing shoulder that has forced him to miss the Lions' last two games.
That means backup Thomas DeMarco, who has led B.C. to consecutive road wins in Lulay's absence, will play Friday night when the Lions (9-4) host the Saskatchewan Roughriders (8-5) in a key West Division contest.
"It's a gradual process," Lulay said of his recovery. "Obviously disappointed I can't be playing yet but Tom has shown the team is in good hands.
"He's played well the last couple weeks but as a competitor you want to be out there with your guys."
Lulay suffered a partially dislocated right shoulder in B.C.'s 36-14 win over the Montreal Alouettes on Sept. 15. The team says he will be re-evaluated in two weeks.
"We're optimistic with where (the injury) is at now," Lulay said. "We've made some progress, especially in the last week, so (I'm) hoping that the recovery continues to go well."
Lulay hurt the same shoulder in 2012 and missed the final five games of the regular season. He also required surgery for a torn labrum suffered while playing in NFL Europe back in 2007.
"The swelling and inflammation stuff needs to go down and that's kind of where we're at," said Lulay, who hopes to resume throwing later this week or early next week. "We're getting to the tail end of that where I'm getting my range of motion back. Now it's a buildup to the strengthening and the throwing again."
In addition to this weekend's game versus Saskatchewan, Lulay will miss B.C.'s showdown with the Calgary Stampeders (10-3) at McMahon Stadium on Oct. 11.
"If I'm healthy enough to play, I'll try to play," he said. "That's what we're looking at. It's just about giving myself an opportunity to recover."
B.C. has won three straight games and cemented a playoff spot with its 53-17 victory Friday night over the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.
Concussion has Reilly out indefinitely
EDMONTON -- The Edmonton Eskimos say quarterback Mike Reilly is out indefinitely with a concussion, and are disputing suggestions they should have pulled him right after he took the vicious blow to the back of his head.
Team general manager Ed Hervey says staff will monitor Reilly's progress and then make a determination when, or if, Reilly comes back this season.
Reilly was knocked out of Saturday's loss to the Toronto Argonauts when he was speared in the helmet by Argo defensive lineman Cleyon Laing.
He lay on his back for 10 seconds, staggered to his feet and appeared disoriented after the hit. When training staff came out on the field, Reilly said he told them he was fine, and he was allowed to stay in for one more play.
After that play -- a touchdown pass -- Reilly came off the field, complained of concussion symptoms and was pulled out of the game by medical staff.
-- The Canadian Press