Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Tim's buys new stadium naming rights
HAMILTON, Ont. -- New stadium, new name.
According to a CFL source requesting anonymity, Tim Hortons has purchased the naming rights for the new stadium being built in Hamilton to stage the soccer event for the 2015 Pan American Games.
There's no indication how much Tim Hortons paid for the rights or the length of the agreement but both the restaurant chain as well as the CFL's Hamilton Tiger-Cats will unveil details of the deal today at a news conference.
The Ticats are playing their home games at Alumni Stadium in Guelph, Ont., while the new stadium is being built and is scheduled to move into the new facility in time for the 2014 CFL season.
The new $145.7-million, state-of-the-art facility is being built on the same grounds that the Ticats' long-time venue, Ivor Wynne Stadium, used to stand,
The new stadium, which will reportedly be called Tim Hortons Field, will be home for the soccer competition for the 2015 Pan American Games.
The facility will have permanent seating for 22,500 spectators with the ability to be expanded to 40,000 seats for major events.
Ivor Wynne Stadium was demolished following the 2012 CFL season after 84 years of existence to make way for the new venue.
-- The Canadian Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition July 12, 2013 C2
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 5 articles for this week)07/24/2014 1:00 AM 0
A look at this week's CFL games.
Photo Store Gallery
- Bombers don't seem in much of a rush
- No Moore Mr. Nice Guy
- Blue Bombers name press box in honour of two prominent sports journalists
- Blue Bombers prepare lineup for Friday match against BC Lions
- At the door to a dream
- CFL this Week -- Week 5
- When it comes to Bombers' defence... Moe knows
- Mike Reilly using legs to run Eskimos to 4-0 record, clash with 3-0 Stampeders
- Moore than a feeling
- Vega joins list of Blue and Gold's walking wounded
- Very rough night for Blue
- Blue feeling like bongo drums
- Moore than a feeling
- Bombers dissect Thursday's drubbing by Eskimos
- Whipping exposes abundant flaws
- Blue review gaffe-filled game
- O-line a disaster area
- Lacklustre Blue didn't help their bottom line
- List of injured Bombers grows
- Taking one step at a time
- Banks asks to be released from Bombers
- Bombers trade for QB Portis
- Feoli-Gudino gets it done
- Bombers linebacker Korey Banks suspended
- Bombers gut out a comeback
- Bomber ticket sales shoot up after win over Argos
- Amazing 3-0 start for Blue
- Bombers release Ford
- Won hard and put away wet
- Slick Willy puts on a great show
Ads by Google