Athletes of the Week
The rural athlete of the week is Stephanie Nernberg of the Major Pratt Trojans volleyball team in Russell.
This 5-10 middle leads her team in blocks and kills. She helped lead the Trojans to three tournament victories at the Melville, Russell Beef & Barley, and Minnedosa tournaments. She was also selected as an all-star at the Neelin Dig tournament on the weekend.
Coach Cheri Totte states: "She is a team leader on and off the court, who genuinely cares about her teammates. Stephanie always finds a way to take her game to the next level. She plays with heart and at the end of a match, you know she has given it her all."
Stephanie is a Grade 12 student and has a 90 per cent average.
The urban athlete of the week is Tom Meier of the St. Paul's Crusaders volleyball team.
The 6-3 leftside led his team in kills on the weekend while helping lead the Crusaders to victory at the Mennonite Brethren tournament, their first tournament win of the season. Coach Lloyd Voth states: "Tom is fortunate to have many gifts at his disposal. He is an intelligent young man, surrounded by good friends and family. Tom is hoping to play volleyball at the university level next year."
Tom is in Grade 12 and has a 92 per cent average.
-- High school volleyball playoffs are beginning over the next week in preparation for the provincials, which take place at the end of November.
For more information and league and tournament results, visit winnipegfreepress.com/sports/high-school/ and the MHSAA website at www.mhsaa.ca
We have three new No. 1s in this final edition of the weekly volleyball rankings. The Mennonite Brethren Hawks girls and St. Paul's boys both take over the top spot in the varsity category, while Lord Selkirk JV boys took over No. 1 from Steinbach. A number of other teams changed positions this week as teams jockey for position going into the upcoming playoffs.
1. Mennonite Brethren Hawks (2)
2. Neelin Spartans (1)
3. Westwood Warriors (4)
4. Miles Macdonell Buckeyes (3)
5. Lord Selkirk Royals (6)
6. Dakota Lancers (5)
7. St. Mary's Academy Flames (7)
8. Vincent Massey Trojans (Winnipeg) (8)
9. Steinbach Regional Sabres (NR)
10. West Kildonan Wolverines (NR)
1. St. Paul's Crusaders (6)
2. Mennonite Brethren Hawks (1)
3. River East Kodiaks (4)
4. Westwood Warriors (5)
5. Lord Selkirk Royals (3)
6. Miles Macdonell Buckeyes (2)
7. Steinbach Regional Sabres (7)
8. Northlands Parkway Nighthawks (Winkler) (8)
9. Dakota Lancers (NR)
10. Vincent Massey Vikings (Brandon) (10)
AAA/AAAA JUNIOR VARSITY VOLLEYBALL
1. Lord Selkirk Royals (1)
2. St. Mary's Academy Flames (2)
3. Mennonite Brethren Hawks (4)
4. Miles Macdonell Buckeyes (5)
5. Vincent Massey Trojans (Winnipeg) (3)
6. Virden Bears (9)
7. Westgate Wings (7)
8. Glenlawn Lions (6)
9. Sisler Spartans (NR)
10. Sturgeon Heights Huskies (8)
1. Lord Selkirk Royals (4)
2. Steinbach Regional Sabres (1)
3. St. Paul's Crusaders (5)
4. Mennonite Brethren Hawks (2)
5. Louis Riel Voyageurs (6)
6. Garden City Fighting Gophers (10)
7. Miles Macdonell Buckeyes (3)
8. Crocus Plains Plainsmen (7)
9. Vincent Massey Vikings (Brandon) (8)
10. Westgate Wings (NR)