Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
IceCaps square series with Stars
CEDAR PARK, Texas — Michael Hutchinson made 49 saves and his St. John’s IceCaps never trailed in scoring a 2-1 victory over the Texas Stars Monday night, squaring the best-of-seven Calder Cup final series at 1-1.
Kael Mouillierat clicked for a first-period goal that was set up by Eric O’Dell’s two-on-one shot and Blair Riley netted the eventual winner in the second as the IceCaps rallied from their sloppy performance in Game 1’s 6-3 loss at Cedar Park Center.
Riley’s one-timer from the slot came just 44 seconds after Texas’s Brendan Ranford tied the game at one early in the second.
Hutchinson, who made 20 saves in the third period alone — if the shot clock was to be believed — didn’t have to stand on his head but he did make three or four five-bell saves, including one theft on Stars’ forward Kevin Henderson in the third.
Texas officially outshot the IceCaps 50-35, including 20-8 in the third.
The IceCaps, though, made the Stars work for every chance, not permitting Texas any of the down-Main-Street chances they had on Sunday.
The championship series now switches to St. John’s for Game 3 on Wednesday night.
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
More St. John's
More St. John's
(2 of 2 articles for this year)06/9/2014 1:00 AM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Meech's long season ending well in Texas
- IceCaps square series with Stars
- Marvelous Morrissey
- Jets reassign Comrie, Morrissey to St. John's
- Former Moose player King new coach with IceCaps
- Texas Stars burn the St. John's IceCaps with second-period outburst
- IceCaps have developed into an organizational success story for Jets
- Coach wants IceCaps to focus more on the puck in tonight's game
- Marco Rosa a scoring force for IceCaps
- Olsen sent to IceCaps
Ads by Google