May 22, 2015


Record: 43 – 26 – 13

Winnipeg Jets Logo

Winnipeg Jets

NHL cancels rest of pre-season

The rest of the NHL's exhibition season is out the window.

The league, which locked out its players after the expiration of the 2005 labour agreement, announced this afternoon that the remainder of pre-season games has been cancelled.

A packed MTS Centre enjoyed a 6-1 victory over the Columbus Blue Jackets in the Jets' first pre-season home game last year, held on Sept. 20.

THE CANADIAN PRESS / JOHN WOODS

A packed MTS Centre enjoyed a 6-1 victory over the Columbus Blue Jackets in the Jets' first pre-season home game last year, held on Sept. 20.

A week ago the NHL had scrubbed pre-season games until Sept. 30.

The league said the cancellation is necessary due to "the absence of a collective bargaining agreement between the NHL Players' Association and the NHL."

The sides will be back at the bargaining table Friday in New York.

The regular season is scheduled to open Oct. 11 — the Jets are slated for Oct. 13 — but as each day passes, it's unlikely those games will be played.

tim.campbell@freepress.mb.ca

 

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective January 2015.

Winnipeg Free Press | @WinnipegNews

May 22 4:02 pm

Prosecutors seek 8-year sentence for deadly stabbing wfp.to/RTt

Mike McIntyre | @mikeoncrime

May 22 3:51 pm

“You’ll pay for what you have done. When you get to the other side you’ll have to answer for it," Lavana Gentray told son's killer.

Mike McIntyre | @mikeoncrime

May 22 3:50 pm

“You caused us great suffering and sorrow. Every day I feel the loss of my precious son,” victim's mother, Lavana Gentray, told court.

Mike McIntyre | @mikeoncrime

May 22 3:50 pm

“Mr. Mustard lives on. He will have sunrises and sunsets. Tony’s are gone,” said victim's uncle, Michael James.

Mike McIntyre | @mikeoncrime

May 22 3:49 pm

Family members of the 50-year-old victim, Anthony Sorokowski, presented emotional impact statements Friday describing their loss.

Scroll down to load more

Top