Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Posted: 03/11/2013 1:00 AM | Comments: 0
Last Modified: 03/11/2013 9:31 AM | Updates
1. Johan Hedberg, G, NJ.: Hedberg had lost seven of eight coming into this game and had been pulled in two of his last three but he was sharp all night stopping 23 of 25.
2. Ondrej Pavelec, G, Wpg.: None of the Jets but Pavelec were ready to play and if not for him it would have been 4-1 by the end of the first. He kept his team in the game until they found their legs.
3. Patrik Elias, LW, NJ (above): New Jersey's leading scorer was held off the scoresheet until the shootout but earned his team two points when it counted beating Pavelec.
SWAP MEET: The Jets acquired forward Tomas Kubalik from the Columbus Blue Jackets in exchange for forward Spencer Machacek.
Kubalik, 22, has spent 54 games with the Springfield Falcons this season scoring 14 goals and 20 points.
The Plzen, Czech Republic native has played in 12 career NHL games, all with Columbus, recording one goal and four points.
Kubalik was originally selected by the Blue Jackets in the fifth round, 135th overall, in the 2008 NHL Draft.
1. New Jersey, Carter 3 (Zajac, Volchenkov) 8:47 2. New Jersey, Gionta 3 (Kovalchuk, Larsson) 10:12 3. Winnipeg, Stuart 2 (Antropov, Miettinen) 16:17 Penalty — Clitsome Wpg (holding) 17:59.
4. Winnipeg, Kane 10 (Stuart) 17:19
Penalties — None
Penalty — Kovalchuk NJ (tripping) 1:03.
Penalties — None Shootout New Jersey wins 1-0
Winnipeg (0) — Wheeler, miss; Kane, miss; Ladd, miss. New Jersey (1) — Kovalchuk, miss; Clarkson, miss; Elias, goal.
Shots on goal by:
Winnipeg 5 8 7 5 — 25 New Jersey 11 7 7 2— 27
Goal — Winnipeg: Pavelec (L,9-11-2); New Jersey: Hedberg (W,4-7-2). Power plays (goals-chances) — Winnipeg: 0-1; New Jersey: 0-1.
Referees — Stephen Walkom, Greg Kimmerly. Linesmen — Brian Murphy, Mark Wheler.
Attendance — 17,625 (17,625).
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition March 11, 2013 ??65533
Updated on Monday, March 11, 2013 at 9:31 AM CDT: Fix head, adds summary.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
Playoffs a classroom for Scheifele
Chevy wants to keep it together
Pavelec’s play guarantees his future as Jets No. 1 goalie
Season not over for goalies Pavelec, Hellebuyck
We don't need hockey to make us a team
Sales pitch to hockey players a lot easier, says Jets GM
Jets GM enthusiastic about team, future
The Jets are Winnipeg’s tribal totem
Jets captain suffering from hernia, Trouba from a broken bone in hand
What lies behind mystery Calgary ad?
Jets no match for quack attack
What's next in Jetsville?
Jets taking day off after losing series to Ducks
Difference between Ducks and Jets was huge
4 games, 4 losses: Winnipeg's reaction to the Jets' tragic defeat
'We'll all be better': Ladd
Cheerleader Harper in town
'I'm proud of how everybody played,' Stuart says
GM can use post-season failure to make Jets better
Harper takes in Game 4 action at MTS Centre
Battered Ducks have time to heal
Jets can't fly with Ducks
Stanley Cup Playoffs Game 4, Jets vs. Ducks, April 22, 2015
Proud Jets fans take playoff loss in stride
Fans get excited for Game 4
Jets vs Ducks Game 4 Preview
Ducks find Jets fans spirited, but won't let themselves be distracted
Man behind the Whiteout happy to see it's back
Live: Free Press writers on Jets' pivotal game tonight
Harper launches post-budget tour in Winnipeg, will attend tonight's Jets game
Tonight: Ducks @ Jets
Byfuglien avoids further discipline
Ducks love bad-boy image
'There is no quit in that room'
Buff in the crosshairs
Jets admit to playoff learning curve
Jets coach sticks up for Byfuglien
A defiant Byfuglien faces the media
Fans impress with Jets fever
Ducks OK with being target of Jets crowd