Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Posted: 03/11/2013 1:00 AM | Comments: 0
Last Modified: 03/11/2013 9:31 AM | Updates
1. Johan Hedberg, G, NJ.: Hedberg had lost seven of eight coming into this game and had been pulled in two of his last three but he was sharp all night stopping 23 of 25.
2. Ondrej Pavelec, G, Wpg.: None of the Jets but Pavelec were ready to play and if not for him it would have been 4-1 by the end of the first. He kept his team in the game until they found their legs.
3. Patrik Elias, LW, NJ (above): New Jersey's leading scorer was held off the scoresheet until the shootout but earned his team two points when it counted beating Pavelec.
SWAP MEET: The Jets acquired forward Tomas Kubalik from the Columbus Blue Jackets in exchange for forward Spencer Machacek.
Kubalik, 22, has spent 54 games with the Springfield Falcons this season scoring 14 goals and 20 points.
The Plzen, Czech Republic native has played in 12 career NHL games, all with Columbus, recording one goal and four points.
Kubalik was originally selected by the Blue Jackets in the fifth round, 135th overall, in the 2008 NHL Draft.
1. New Jersey, Carter 3 (Zajac, Volchenkov) 8:47 2. New Jersey, Gionta 3 (Kovalchuk, Larsson) 10:12 3. Winnipeg, Stuart 2 (Antropov, Miettinen) 16:17 Penalty — Clitsome Wpg (holding) 17:59.
4. Winnipeg, Kane 10 (Stuart) 17:19
Penalties — None
Penalty — Kovalchuk NJ (tripping) 1:03.
Penalties — None Shootout New Jersey wins 1-0
Winnipeg (0) — Wheeler, miss; Kane, miss; Ladd, miss. New Jersey (1) — Kovalchuk, miss; Clarkson, miss; Elias, goal.
Shots on goal by:
Winnipeg 5 8 7 5 — 25 New Jersey 11 7 7 2— 27
Goal — Winnipeg: Pavelec (L,9-11-2); New Jersey: Hedberg (W,4-7-2). Power plays (goals-chances) — Winnipeg: 0-1; New Jersey: 0-1.
Referees — Stephen Walkom, Greg Kimmerly. Linesmen — Brian Murphy, Mark Wheler.
Attendance — 17,625 (17,625).
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition March 11, 2013 ??65533
Updated on Monday, March 11, 2013 at 9:31 AM CDT: Fix head, adds summary.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
Little making huge contribution
Ugly but still worth two points
Tonight: JETS @ SABRES
Not pretty but effective
Winnipeg Jets vs. Columbus Blue Jackets - Nov. 25, 2014
Hutchinson's hand still hot
To err is human, to forgive is coaching
Jets down to 20th on Forbes' list of NHL teams
Winnipeg Jets Notebook
Tonight: Jets at Jackets
Maurice has close eye on Jets lines heading into road games
One lousy rut ends Bouwmeester's streak
Jets' penalty-kill has lost its mojo
Butter-finger Jets can't hold lead
Jets almost always close
Not quite on pace for 50
Jets fall to Blues, 4-2
Jets' locker-room humming along at steady, positive pace
'Defence' defines Jets
Enstrom excused from practice before Jets take on Blues
Weak 4th line will be costly
Frolik is Mr. Shutdown
Ugly wasn't enough
Lowry shakes early nerves, making great strides in first 20 games
Postma fits role to the letter
Tonight: RED WINGS @ JETS
The fab freshmen of Jetsville
Jets have major sore point