Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Posted: 03/11/2013 1:00 AM | Comments: 0
Last Modified: 03/11/2013 9:31 AM | Updates
1. Johan Hedberg, G, NJ.: Hedberg had lost seven of eight coming into this game and had been pulled in two of his last three but he was sharp all night stopping 23 of 25.
2. Ondrej Pavelec, G, Wpg.: None of the Jets but Pavelec were ready to play and if not for him it would have been 4-1 by the end of the first. He kept his team in the game until they found their legs.
3. Patrik Elias, LW, NJ (above): New Jersey's leading scorer was held off the scoresheet until the shootout but earned his team two points when it counted beating Pavelec.
SWAP MEET: The Jets acquired forward Tomas Kubalik from the Columbus Blue Jackets in exchange for forward Spencer Machacek.
Kubalik, 22, has spent 54 games with the Springfield Falcons this season scoring 14 goals and 20 points.
The Plzen, Czech Republic native has played in 12 career NHL games, all with Columbus, recording one goal and four points.
Kubalik was originally selected by the Blue Jackets in the fifth round, 135th overall, in the 2008 NHL Draft.
1. New Jersey, Carter 3 (Zajac, Volchenkov) 8:47 2. New Jersey, Gionta 3 (Kovalchuk, Larsson) 10:12 3. Winnipeg, Stuart 2 (Antropov, Miettinen) 16:17 Penalty — Clitsome Wpg (holding) 17:59.
4. Winnipeg, Kane 10 (Stuart) 17:19
Penalties — None
Penalty — Kovalchuk NJ (tripping) 1:03.
Penalties — None Shootout New Jersey wins 1-0
Winnipeg (0) — Wheeler, miss; Kane, miss; Ladd, miss. New Jersey (1) — Kovalchuk, miss; Clarkson, miss; Elias, goal.
Shots on goal by:
Winnipeg 5 8 7 5 — 25 New Jersey 11 7 7 2— 27
Goal — Winnipeg: Pavelec (L,9-11-2); New Jersey: Hedberg (W,4-7-2). Power plays (goals-chances) — Winnipeg: 0-1; New Jersey: 0-1.
Referees — Stephen Walkom, Greg Kimmerly. Linesmen — Brian Murphy, Mark Wheler.
Attendance — 17,625 (17,625).
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition March 11, 2013 ??65533
Updated on Monday, March 11, 2013 at 9:31 AM CDT: Fix head, adds summary.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
Jets starting season with fresh slate, says Ladd
Save percentage 1.000
Jets left-winger happy in the here and now
Love potion No. 9
Jets training camp kicks off
'They've come to perform'
Defence-first policy crucial for Jets to gain ground in playoff hunt
Maurice has influence, pedigree to make Winnipeg a contender
Maurice promises 'an exciting, very aggressive brand of hockey'
Is a playoff berth realistic or do the Jets have too many unsolved questions?
Is change brewing in Jetsville?
Scratching a seven-year itch
Vigier analyzes Maurice's likely impact as Jets head coach
Jets announce training schedule
This Ehlers kid can play a bit
Winnipeg Jets Notebook
Club high on Hutchinson
Players getting cranked for camp
Jet prospects prevail 5-4 in a shootout over Oilers
Jets to hold Fan Fest to kick off hockey season
Maurice will push players to maximum
Taking no chances with Ehlers
Slick Nic turns on red light
Petan leads young Jets to OT win over Canucks
Like a rock: Chevy steadfast
Quiet centre makes some noise
Top pick Ehlers iffy for today's game vs. Canucks