Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Posted: 03/11/2013 1:00 AM | Comments: 0
Last Modified: 03/11/2013 9:31 AM | Updates
1. Johan Hedberg, G, NJ.: Hedberg had lost seven of eight coming into this game and had been pulled in two of his last three but he was sharp all night stopping 23 of 25.
2. Ondrej Pavelec, G, Wpg.: None of the Jets but Pavelec were ready to play and if not for him it would have been 4-1 by the end of the first. He kept his team in the game until they found their legs.
3. Patrik Elias, LW, NJ (above): New Jersey's leading scorer was held off the scoresheet until the shootout but earned his team two points when it counted beating Pavelec.
SWAP MEET: The Jets acquired forward Tomas Kubalik from the Columbus Blue Jackets in exchange for forward Spencer Machacek.
Kubalik, 22, has spent 54 games with the Springfield Falcons this season scoring 14 goals and 20 points.
The Plzen, Czech Republic native has played in 12 career NHL games, all with Columbus, recording one goal and four points.
Kubalik was originally selected by the Blue Jackets in the fifth round, 135th overall, in the 2008 NHL Draft.
1. New Jersey, Carter 3 (Zajac, Volchenkov) 8:47 2. New Jersey, Gionta 3 (Kovalchuk, Larsson) 10:12 3. Winnipeg, Stuart 2 (Antropov, Miettinen) 16:17 Penalty — Clitsome Wpg (holding) 17:59.
4. Winnipeg, Kane 10 (Stuart) 17:19
Penalties — None
Penalty — Kovalchuk NJ (tripping) 1:03.
Penalties — None Shootout New Jersey wins 1-0
Winnipeg (0) — Wheeler, miss; Kane, miss; Ladd, miss. New Jersey (1) — Kovalchuk, miss; Clarkson, miss; Elias, goal.
Shots on goal by:
Winnipeg 5 8 7 5 — 25 New Jersey 11 7 7 2— 27
Goal — Winnipeg: Pavelec (L,9-11-2); New Jersey: Hedberg (W,4-7-2). Power plays (goals-chances) — Winnipeg: 0-1; New Jersey: 0-1.
Referees — Stephen Walkom, Greg Kimmerly. Linesmen — Brian Murphy, Mark Wheler.
Attendance — 17,625 (17,625).
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition March 11, 2013 ??65533
Updated on Monday, March 11, 2013 at 9:31 AM CDT: Fix head, adds summary.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
Tough break — shake it off
Jets trying to see the bright side of last-minute loss, keeping eyes on playoffs
Another late blow kills Jets
"Ø"Ø ABOUT THE HAWKS
Chaotic start to Copp's career
Sure things: Death, taxes and Pavelec in the pipes
Perreault could be in Sunday's Jets lineup against Chicago
The final countdown: Here's how the Jets' charge for a playoff spot shakes down
About the Hawks
Jets still gaining altitude
Jets still gaining altitude
Wheeler still chugging after gruesome injury
Pavs' redemption continues
Over 96 per cent of Jets season ticket holders have renewed their terms
Prospect Copp to join Jets right away
This is crunch time
Canadiens @ Jets
Jets fall 5-2 to Canucks
Changes working for Canucks
Tonight: Jets @ Canucks
Newbies pave way for Jets
Tonight: Jets @ Oilers